Photo Provided by Universal

Sigh no more Mumford fans, because “Wilder Mind” is coming out in approximately two weeks. After a brief hiatus and a collective gasp from their followers, the gang has reconvened to create a 12-track album set to be released May 4.

For those who can’t wait the 13 days between then and now, three singles have already been released. “Believe,” “The Wolf” and “Snake Eyes” are now available for download, and while there is definitely a shift from the style that made us fall in love with “I Will Wait For You,” the essence of Mumford & Sons is preserved in this album. Yes, they’ve done away with the banjo, but it’s important to realize that their style extends far beyond the instruments they use. If anything, the banjo-less, electric instruments make you realize Mumford & Son’s other qualities, the ones that make them stand out. It’s the quick tempo changes, the sudden shifts in intensity and volume, and the unmistakable voice of Marcus Mumford that can be heard clearly throughout their three albums.

For those who are upset about the departure from what originally brought them fame, give the new stuff a chance. Some resistance is expected; people can’t handle change. But for anyone who is upset, it’s important to remember that the band has made it perfectly clear that they want nothing to do with the banjo anymore. In an interview with Vulture, band member Winston Marshall said, “I fucking hate the banjo.” In defense of Mumford & Sons, they are expanding their style, and if they kept doing something they hated, it would begin to sound stale anyway. You can’t fault them for wanting to do away with the instrument that had them labeled as twee. For anyone saying that they sold out, I disagree. Had they kept doing something for the sake of pleasing fans, then they would have sold out. Frankly, I admire that they’re pursuing a new style.

Of the tracks on “Wilder Mind” that have been released so far, “Believe” is definitely a standout. It’s powerful and energetic and hosts some great instrumentals. “The Wolf” is fun and has a killer chorus. “Snake Eyes” has a nice guitar part, but is overall less remarkable. Two out of three ain’t bad, though.

“Wilder Mind” is going to be different, but I’m intrigued and willing to see this through until the end — the end being their summer world tour of course. The band has announced 24 tour dates across the United States and 44 worldwide, including appearances at music festivals such as Bonnaroo and the U.K.’s Reading Festival. Mumford & Sons may not be making the exact same type of music as they have before, but give them a chance.