Emma Siegel/Pipe Dream Photographer

If you’ve never been to Sake-Tumi, you’re missing out on some of the best Asian food in the area. Binghamton’s local Asian fusion restaurant is located at 71 Court St., just a few minutes’ walk from State Street.

Before entering the sushi-filled world of Sake-Tumi, I was a bit skeptical. The only Japanese food I’d ever eaten has come from Long Island and let’s face it, I didn’t think it would compare (typical, right?). However, upon arrival, my doubt was immediately assuaged by the intimate atmosphere and wonderful staff.

The restaurant was small, with about 10 tables in front and a sushi bar, as well as high-top tables in the back that displayed a comforting, warm atmosphere.

From the beginning, the service was top-notch. My partner in crime, Emma, and I were greeted almost instantaneously by a friendly hostess and we were seated within seconds of entering the building.

Since every sushi restaurant has its own different rolls and specials, Emma naturally had questions about what to order (me being the astute journalist I am, I knew what I was ordering three days ago when I was given the assignment, of course). Our waitress handled her questions with aplomb, answering every question without stumbling or even having to think. Clearly she was well trained. (Also, props to her for refilling my water glass 22 times throughout dinner and never complaining). After the back-and-forth exchange, it was decided. I ordered gyoza for my appetizer and the green maki roll for my entrée, while Emma had salmon nigiri and the rainbow roll.

After only about seven minutes, our appetizers arrived and we were not disappointed. While the portion size was small, only four gyozas and three nigiri, the flavor was anything but. My gyoza (fried dumplings, for those who don’t know) was perfectly crunchy on the outside with a tasty delectable filling. Emma’s nigiri was delicious, with moist, fresh salmon and rice that packed a flavorful punch.

One table change (due to poor photographic lighting) later, we finished our appetizer in about two minutes. Within seconds our plates were cleared and our waitress had refilled my water glass (about the 13th time at that point). Just minutes later, our entrées arrived.

The green maki was one of the best rolls I have ever had. The shrimp tempura inside was cooked to perfection, with just the right amount of cream cheese in the center to enhance the flavors. The generous portion of avocado and spicy mayo were the perfect complements, making every bite delicious. Emma’s rainbow roll, a combination of crab, avocado, salmon, yellowtail and masago was every bit as enjoyable. The texture was perfect and all of the components of the dish blended together well.

After much debate (and four water fill-ups later), we settled on our desserts. I chose the carrot cake while Emma ordered green-tea mochi ice cream. When they came though, I was mildly disappointed. I was expecting a full piece of cake, but the dessert was actually just three bite-sized pieces. While they tasted good and were the perfect level of sweet, the small portion size left me wanting more. Emma, on the other hand, enjoyed hers. She was fascinated by the texture of the mochi ice cream, which neither of us had ever experienced before. The dessert featured an interesting mix of flavors (Emma rated it 6/10).

Overall, Sake-Tumi is great for Asian fusion, featuring delicious sushi and appetizers, but stay away from the dessert to avoid wanting more. The small appetizer and dessert make the $20 price-tag a little steep, however.