Kevin Sussy/Contributing Photographer

If you’ve ever gotten fried rice in the Marketplace, you’ve probably received a free radiating smile on the side. Your server is Mary Chu, a woman whose infectious upbeat attitude has made her a campus celebrity.

But who is the woman behind the smile, and behind the counter?

Chu — affectionately nicknamed by students as “Mein Bowl Mary” — moved to the United States in 2006 from Ningbo, a city on the eastern coast of China. When asked how she found Binghamton, she said simply, “a relationship.” As it turns out, someone she knew in Ningbo connected her to a Sodexo program that brings in overseas workers to America for career opportunities. Through that, she ended up in Binghamton.

Every day, a Sodexo-affiliated program brings Chu and some of her coworkers to campus from their homes. After nine-hour work days, they’re transported back home together.

At home, Chu enjoys watching movies and collecting coins from all around the world, but she’s also genuinely enthusiastic about her job and about making the students on campus happy.

Chu’s warm attitude and bright smile has made some students on campus feel at home. Amanda Gerstman, a freshman majoring in human development, gets Mein Bowl almost every day.

“After having a long day, seeing someone so positive and eager to serve me dinner is just like being home with mom,” Gerstman said.

Mary said that the least favorite part of her job is the busyness, but that doesn’t stop her from doing her job well. Jim Ruoff, Sodexo’s general manager on campus, is proud to call Mary one of his coworkers.

“If you look up great customer service in the dictionary, you should see a picture of Mary next to the definition,” Ruoff said. “The way she makes every customer feel special is something that always amazes me and always makes me proud to call her my partner.”

She even loves the food she serves — her favorite dish is “all the veggies, no meat,” Ruoff said, having been a vegetarian her entire life.

Yuval Hananya, a sophomore majoring in accounting, loves the food served there, too.

“The bourbon chicken is phenomenal,” Hananya said. “Mary is a sweetheart. The food tastes better when served by her.”

So, next time you’re in the Union, go ahead and say hello to Binghamton’s friendliest Sodexo worker, Mein Bowl Mary.