The time for independence is now. Don’t let card companies and cheesy jewelry commercials make you feel like an outcast. Let February be a time of self-love, indulgence and reveling in your independence. If you are single on Feb. 14, take the day to appreciate yourself, your friends and enjoy your current life as a solo artist. Let Singles Awareness Day be known as Singles Appreciation Day.

Try doing traditional “couple-y” activities on your own. If going to the movie theater by yourself seems too out of your comfort zone, try a Netflix movie marathon. Now is the time to indulge in your guilty pleasure film genre without a significant other to make fun of it. Another plus: You can actually watch your favorites without worrying about an awkward date trying to make a move two minutes into the movie.

Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be complete without candy. There is no shame in buying yourself fancy chocolates or any other sweet you typically crave. You won’t have to pretend to love the mystery chocolates in the heart-shaped box a significant other would give you — there’s nothing sadder than leaving them all half-eaten. Donna and Tom from “Parks and Recreation” had the right idea when they created a whole holiday to “treat yo self.”

If being all by yourself is just too daunting, gather some single friends and make the holiday about each other. A night in could include making dinner, drinking wine and blasting Beyoncé with your single ladies (or gentlemen). If you prefer going out, try that fancy restaurant you’ve all been pining after, or go get drinks together. Exchanging small gifts can be a fun and inexpensive way to celebrate, too, whether your friends decide to go out or lounge around. Friend love is just as important as romantic love, so show your dearest ones that you appreciate them on Valentine’s Day.

Whatever you choose to do, the right outfit makes all the difference. If you feel most comfortable in sweatpants and a hoodie, embrace that. And if you love to get dressed up, don’t hold back. An elegant outfit isn’t just for romantic, one-on-one dates, and wearing something you love can make your night all the more special.

Although it’s easy to fall into the bitter single person trope, resisting that urge makes for a much happier holiday. So don’t let Hallmark bring you down: Learn to enjoy your own company, and celebrate the perks of being single.