It is here! Yes, lovebirds of Binghamton, ‘tis the season to be fawning over your significant other, or crying over a bowl of ice cream with your significant roommate. Valentine’s is here, and love is in the air. Yet with all of the candy hearts and Hallmark cards, it’s possible that we forget about another day in February, one with room for much more heartbreak: Feb. 6, the add/drop deadline. It’s time to decide who you will be. A lover? A heartbreaker? A committed pupil? A really shitty student? Will you drop that nightmare-ish macro class? Or will you suffer through because you are too embarrassed to pull yourself from the roster? Don’t be that person this year, sending your teacher to sob while their family and friends tell them that they’re “better off” and that “there are plenty of students in the ocean.” No, this year, Release will guide you through the mess, with a few simple options to break up with your professor with tact and grace.

The Irish goodbye — This one is a classic and, while risky, can be very effective if used correctly. Channel your weekend self, and think back to the times when you were tired and drunk and did not want to start hugging your frenemies goodbye in the Venue backroom. So like a shadow in the moonlight, you slipped away with poise and finesse. If your class is a large lecture, it’s possible to do the same. Sure, you might feel awkward, but remember, you are but a faceless cog in the wheel of a class, and your teacher probably has tenure and won’t notice or care.

The heartfelt card — If you’re in a class of 50 or less, consider softening the blow with a present of sorts. Remember to go simple, whether it be a nice card, a box of chocolates or a small puppy with a bow on its collar. Any of those are equally acceptable. Imagine your teacher’s face when he or she unknowingly receives a small dog at the beginning of class! They will be so overjoyed with their new family member that they will have no room for loathing in their hearts.

Put on an exciting performance — For those who still don’t know what business they’d like to go into, remember that there is no business like show business, so why not get started? Prepare and rehearse a small monologue and/or dance number in order to bid your professor adieu. They will be so moved by your performance that anger will not be an option. For those who need speech inspiration, try classics such as “to be or not to be” from “Hamlet,” or the end of “Mean Girls” when Cady starts breaking the prom queen crown.

Surprise them with a musical visit from John Stamos — Whatever happened to predictability? Am I right, guys? Bring your soon to be ex-professor to tears with nostalgia as they relive the best “Full House” moments right in their classroom. Contact John Stamos at his most recent Oikos yogurt commercial shoot and ask to borrow him for the weekend. Once he gets to Binghamton, give him the grand tour, and treat him to Red Mango while you’re at it (it’s only fair, he came all the way here). Once you’re done, drag him to your class and have him play all of Uncle Jesse’s greatest hits. Nobody will remark “How rude!” if you drop the class after that.

Help your teacher find love — Take another hint from the ’90s and channel Cher’s matchmaking skills from “Clueless.” Regardless of whether they are married or not, they definitely want to be set up on a date with one of your parents. This is the perfect plan because while your professor might never forgive you, your new parent will! How could they be upset when their newly adopted child drops their class? They know it’s only because all of the other students will fear nepotism and corruption in the class system.