While the majority of students are beginning to acclimate once more to Binghamton’s perpetual cold, others are using this spring semester to explore other countries. From England to New Zealand and everywhere in between, jetsetters from Binghamton University are starting to make their mark on the world at large. If you’re interested in any of these programs yourself, here’s how it’s going so far for some of them.

Brittany Frank, a junior double-majoring in English and philosophy, politics and law, is participating in the English department’s Semester-in-London program. Sianna Simon, a junior majoring in economics, is studying in the Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute in Florence, Italy. Emily D’Emic is a junior majoring in English at Binghamton University who is participating in SUNY New Paltz’s program in Besancon, France. And Elyse Belarge, a junior majoring in environmental studies, is studying in Dunedin, New Zealand through a program at SUNY Oswego.

1. What made you choose to study there?

“The reason I chose London was because of how well it fit with my English major and because of how much in line it was with my academic interests.” —Frank

“Not many people speak English here and I want to learn French.” —D’Emic

“I went to Italy for a two week exchange program in high school and have wanted to return ever since. I threw a coin in the Trevi fountain so I knew I must return!” —Simon

“I’ve never traveled outside of Europe, so I thought this would be a good time to experience a different country. I’m an environmental studies major, so I also thought that this would be a good way to get a different perspective on topics that have to do with my major.” —Belarge

2. What are you dreading the most? What are you most excited for?

“I am dreading being gone for so long, and missing out on all the fun my friends back at Binghamton will be having. I am most looking forward to traveling to other places in Europe and experiencing another culture’s way of life.” —Frank

“Most excited for the food. Kind of dreading traveling alone for the first time and missing a flight through the chaos.” —Simon

“I’m excited to travel around New Zealand because it’s supposed to be an extremely beautiful and scenic country. I’m also excited to meet other people from around the world who are interested in the same things as I am.” —Belarge

3. What are the top five places or things you want to go to or do while you’re abroad?

“Paris, France; Lisbon, Portugal; Dublin, Ireland; Rome, Italy; and Barcelona, Spain.” —Frank

“I need to go to Amsterdam! Other than that, just to travel Europe would be great, see Nice, maybe Spain or Italy.” —D’Emic

“Eat. Travel. Make best friends. Learn the language. Continue to learn and appreciate other cultures.” —Simon

“I would like to attend an All Blacks game. That’s the NZ national rugby team. I want to visit Hobbiton, try a few adventure sports, do a lot of hiking and learn about Maori culture.” —Belarge

4. Any preconceived notions you have about your host country?

“They are all very polite and proper.” —Frank

“Maybe that the food is better here? Which I’m not sure of yet since I haven’t been out to eat. The butter is definitely better though.” —D’Emic

“Only the good stereotypes — like I’m going to be eating the best food of my life.” —Simon

5. Any foods or dress you’re looking forward to trying?

“I definitely want to try snails.” —D’Emic

“All foods from tripe — pig intestines and definitely trying to score a genuine dirndl from a visit to Germany’s Spring Fest.” —Simon

6. Anything you’ll miss from Binghamton?

“Definitely the people. My friends.” —D’Emic

“I’ll miss the people in Binghamton as playing club soccer, but I’m excited to meet new people abroad and see how they treat soccer.” —Belarge

7. What classes are you taking abroad?

“Shakespeare, The British Experience, Is Racism ‘Over’ in London, and Art and Architecture.” —Frank

“Italian Cuisine, Workplace Psychology, Screenwriting, Advanced Italian, Sociology of Consumerism and a global studies class online through Bing.” —Simon

“The Environmental History of New Zealand, Resource Evaluation and Planning and A Special Topics in Human Geography class.” —Belarge

8. What is one piece of advice you’ve received that you think will prove valuable for this experience?

“I’ve been told numerous times that things are more expensive in London than in America so I should spend my money wisely and familiarize myself with the rate of exchange.” —Frank

“Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, if someone is impatient with you it’s on them, not you.” —D’Emic

“Be aware of your surroundings and don’t be gullible. Don’t travel alone, travel alone.” —Simon