In a city where the department store of choice is Boscov’s, there’s not much to buy. And while we love Binghamton in all of its quaint glory, some things are just better purchased at home. Thanksgiving break is the ideal time to have your parents pay for the things you’ll need for the rest of the semester — here’s a list of things to snag while you’re under their roof.

Frat Jacket — Despite the freezing Binghamton weather that plagues this half of the semester, girls continue to wear their smallest clothes when they go out. Bringing a jacket along becomes an annoying necessity. We are faced with the conflict of freezing or having to hold our down-filled puffy jackets while being pushed around in Tom & Marty’s, or stashing them in a coat room at Venue where they become anyone’s for the taking. Black Friday is the perfect time to score a cheap winter jacket, one reserved for going out that you don’t care about losing or ruining on bar floors.

Holiday decorations — Feeling festive? Why not get in the holiday spirit and bring back some decorations for your bedroom? Nothing says “I’m not stressed about finals” like some Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling or a menorah perched in the window. While you’re at it, throw some mistletoe above your doorway just for kicks. Who knows, maybe staying up all night studying will help you get lucky.

K-Cups and energy drinks — Thanksgiving break celebrates two things: tryptophan overdoses and the last five days of freedom before the start of finals. Yay? Some might suggest using this time to start preparing. Others prefer a little R&R. No matter your choice, just be sure to bring back some caffeine with you after Thanksgiving. Long, sleepless nights spent cooped up in Bartle are simply unavoidable.

SantaCon outfit — Binghamton’s second annual SantaCon is scheduled for Dec. 6, the weekend we get back. Use Black Friday deals and the access to malls other than Oakdale as a chance to pick up something special to wear for the occasion. We suggest festive sweaters, printed socks, red lipstick for the ladies and, of course, a Santa hat.

Hand and foot warmers — You know those little disposable hand warmers you rub together to make your fingers really warm? Well, those are the solution to our problems, my friends. Instead of wasting money on a space heater for those cold Binghamton nights, invest in some hand warmers that are much cheaper and easier to use. They’re perfect for sticking in gloves while walking to class. If you bring these nifty items back with you from home, you won’t regret it.

Leftovers — While it’s not a purchase, bringing back Thanksgiving leftovers means pumpkin pie in your dorm room, which I think we can all agree is a good thing. After living off of College-in-the-Woods burritos and a $20 allowance for groceries, home cooking is more than a luxury — it is a necessity.