Photo Provided by The Associated Press

The most recent “Hunger Games” isn’t playing around. In fact, it doesn’t have any games at all. Instead of another fight to the death, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1” centers on a political revolution within Suzanne Collins’ fictional world of Panem.

Katniss Everdeen’s (Jennifer Lawrence) rebellious acts in the Quarter Quell during “Catching Fire” (the second film adaptation) sparked the rebellion. She and her surviving allies are currently adjusting to life in District 13, a place rumored nonexistent, as they prepare to fight the Capitol for independence of all 13 districts.

Despite its well-executed storytelling, “Mockingjay” tends to suffer from its literary basis, dragging at the beginning and toward the middle. Unlike its predecessors, “Mockingjay” relies on an intellectually provocative story line rather than one that is action-based. That isn’t to say that the film lacks action, but it’s confined to settings less interesting or aesthetically diverse than the battle arenas in the first two movies. Furthermore, the politics of the plot are simple enough to be comprehended by 13-year-olds, and together those two factors make it difficult for the movie to sustain interest throughout its two-hour running time.

As always, Lawrence’s award-winning acting was on point, even if the writing for Katniss wasn’t. In the first two films, Katniss reeked of fierce independence and perseverance, no matter what horrors she’d seen. This rendition of her was reminiscent of Bella Swan’s complete deterioration in “The Twilight Saga: New Moon” after Edward took leave. The “Girl on Fire” is constantly screaming out for and throwing fits about Peeta, thinking not only that he was dead, but that she’s responsible. It’s a bit more intense than just being dumped by your ancient bloodthirsty boyfriend who lacks the depth of an inflatable kiddie pool.

Unlike the majority of “teen flicks,” the newest “Hunger Games,” just as with the first and second, holds quite a few feathers in its cap with its critically acclaimed all-star cast, many of whom have either won or been nominated for multiple Oscars. The stand-out newcomers include President Alma Coin, played by Julianne Moore, and “Game of Thrones’” Natalie Dormer, as Cressida. Our classic favorites shine just as brightly: Effie Trinket (Elizabeth Banks), Plutarch Heavensbee (the late Philip Seymour Hoffman for whom the film is dedicated), the sadistic President Snow (Donald Sutherland) and, of course, Haymitch (Woody Harrelson).