As Thanksgiving break rapidly approaches, many of us want to take advantage of the fall weather before we have to break out our winter coats. Day trips are an excellent way to get away in between school breaks. As your mom will probably tell you, State Street isn’t the only place you can spend your free time on the weekends. If you’ve already hiked the Nature Preserve countless times, try visiting some of these nearby attractions to get your fix of new surroundings.

Chenango Valley State Park, less than a half hour away from campus, has hiking trails, boat rentals, and other amenities for a relaxing day outdoors. The park’s two lakes and woodland trails provide beautiful scenery for a quick getaway from studying. Activities and hours vary by season, so be sure to call the park before you head over.

Voted “Coolest Small Town in America” in 2009 by readers of Budget Travel Magazine, the village of Owego is also a half hour drive away from Binghamton. The quaint, homey town is located along the Susquehanna River and boasts local restaurants and shops for a fun outing with friends. If you’re a veteran of Binghamton Restaurant Week and First Friday, scope out Owego’s galleries and eateries for a taste of something different.

Probably the most well-known local destination is Ithaca, just an hour away from Binghamton and home to tons of attractions. The State Theatre of Ithaca has hosted acts like Band of Horses and The Head and the Heart. This weekend, Jenny Lewis and Fitz & the Tantrums are coming up to play. To make a day of it, check out Ithaca’s antique shops, bookstores, restaurants and breweries. And if you’re more interested in the outdoors, Ithaca is known for its waterfalls and gorges. Try going for a hike at one of the nature preserves or state parks before winter settles in. Also, make sure to get one of those cheesy “Ithaca is gorges” shirts before your common sense gets the best of you.

Watkins Glen State Park is another option for nature lovers. The park is open year-round, so if you’re willing to brace the chilly fall weather, it’s a great place to explore. The glen has 19 waterfalls, 200-foot cliffs, and its trails overlook the gorge. Cavern Cascade is Watkins Glen’s main waterfall, and visitors can walk behind the falls for an incredible view. The breathtaking scenery is about an hour and twenty minutes away from campus, so make sure to leave early to give yourself time for a relaxing hike.

Just because Halloweekend is over doesn’t mean that the fall season is too. Don’t let the rest of autumn escape you — step outside of the Binghamton bubble, and enjoy the last few weeks of crisp weather before the tri-cities winter sets in.