File Photo

‘Tis the season for pumpkin-flavored beverages. We know how much you love your pumpkin spice lattes, but have you ever considered trying a little fall-flavored kick in your favorite alcoholic beverage? And by that we mean beer, of course.

Lucky for you, Binghamton’s a beer-lover’s heaven. The rising popularity of craft beer has allowed small independent brewing companies to produce their own unique, seasonal blends that are sure to delight those who just can’t get enough of the fall season.

Southern Tier Brewing Company’s Pumpkin Series

One of upstate New York’s most beloved breweries, based in the nearby town of Lakewood, Southern Tier has released a line of seasonal pumpkin beers that have had bars across the country clamoring to get their hands on ‘em. The first of this series, Pumking, is an imperial pumpkin-flavored ale that literally tastes like liquefied fall, but in a good way. Even people who don’t like beer will enjoy this smooth, sweet brew. For those who are enchanted by the dark and mysterious, Southern Tier’s Warlock is the brew for you. Black as death and bitter as your Calculus professor, this pumpkin flavored Imperial Stout will satisfy your darkest desires.

The North Brewery

The North Brewery is a small, independent brewery located just a ten-minute drive from campus on 110 Washington Ave. in Endicott. Owner Zach Pedley started brewing his own beer at home five years ago, and loved it so much that he decided to start his own small business. Now the North Brewery is churning out some of the most unique beers in the Southern Tier region, including a new brew called El Chupacabra, named after the mysterious blood-sucking monster of lore. This German Rye beer is brewed with habaneros, giving it a smoky, spicy flavor worthy of the name. Just in time for Halloween, the North is also selling a brew called Sour False Prophet, a fiery beer that’s been aged in rye whiskey barrels and a Lab Rat IPA for hop-heads who love feisty, bitter flavors. According to Binghamton alumnus and brewer Kyle Acenowr, the North has been working on brewing a Pumpkin Coffee Stout, but the recipe is “top secret.”

Galaxy Brewing Company

One of Binghamton’s newest microbreweries, Galaxy Brewing Company on 41 Court St. has established a local reputation as the cool place to go for both a good meal and a nice beer. They’ve taken a rather traditional approach to fall-flavored beers, drawing on the crisp, malty flavor of autumn brews. Currently on tap is their traditional German-style Oktoberfest, an amber-colored “classic fall favorite” brewed with smooth Munich and Vienna malts, and the Galactic Harvest, a flavorful “beer lover’s beer” made with estate-grown hops from owner Mike Weisel’s garden. Just in time for Halloween, Galaxy is getting ready to release three special beers in their “Welcome to the Dark Side” series. Stout and porter lovers, rejoice.

Water Street Brewing Company

Master brewer and owner John Bleichert studied the industrial brewing process in Germany and Chicago before he came to Water Street Brewing Co., where he now handles all brewery operations. John is a big fan of traditional lagers and ales, which are perfect for the fall season. Stop in and try the Hellcat Brown Ale, a malty masterpiece with a crisp, autumnal finish. If you ask nicely, they’ll even coat the rim of your glass with honey and brown sugar, which brings out the malty flavor and makes for a delicious fall treat.