Photo Provided by The Associated Press

Fans of “30 Rock,” “Girls,” “Parks and Recreation” and “Arrested Development” will find some of their favorite actors in “This Is Where I Leave You.” The film centers around four siblings forced to sit shiva, a week-long period of mourning for observant Jews, after their father passes away, despite their mother being Christian and their father having been a “Jewish atheist.” Under the same roof for seven days, siblings Judd (Jason Bateman), Wendy (Tina Fey), Phillip (Adam Driver), Paul (Corey Stoll) and their mother Hillary Altman (Jane Fonda) confront their flawed family dynamic in close quarters.

The film has a pleasant blend of crude humor, sentimental moments and insights on adult life and all of its complexities. Despite the story resting on some common tropes, the cast is charming enough to compensate for a few cliched story lines. The predictable extramarital affair and reconnections with high school loves, for example, are only salvaged by the lovable ensemble. Viewers see mostly through Judd’s eyes, but each character’s story weaves seamlessly throughout the film. Each Altman sibling has endearing quirks and a unique, family-related struggle, from Wendy’s quippy one-liners to Paul’s struggle to have a baby with his wife. Hillary’s character, though, feels undeveloped compared to those of her children, and her storyline could have used more screen time.

Driver arguably brings the most energy to the cast. He plays the inappropriate, youngest sibling with a penchant for fleeting relationships. A particularly touching scene includes Phillip and Fey’s character, Wendy, sharing a rare moment of intimacy in which Phillip reveals that Wendy is “the voice inside [his] head,” since she essentially raised him. The film is riddled with these small moments of connection between siblings, spouses, neighbors and old flames. The subtleties are where each actor shines most.

The film is based on a novel of the same name by Jonathan Tropper, which he adapted to the screenplay. The dialogue is dynamic, shifting between humor and drama quickly and effortlessly. Many characters echo “it’s complicated” throughout, and this refrain illustrates Tropper’s underlying message: each family has its own narrative, complex and dysfunctional in its own way. The Altmans’ story will draw audiences in, and each family member will show that spontaneity can be the best, and scariest, remedy for a life that seems to be falling apart.

Ultimately, “This Is Where I Leave You” ties a little too neatly into a bittersweet bow. The family dramas subside in an unexpected twist that feels flimsy because it lacks buildup. In the end, the characters predictably live up to the “simple yet complicated” motif in a safe conclusion. This won’t prevent audiences from enjoying the company of the characters, though. If you can handle a bit of corniness, the film will leave you fulfilled, reflective and maybe even teary-eyed.