Neil Seejoor/Contributing Photographer

Part of the fun of Restaurant Week in Binghamton is getting to take part in the community and experience the local culture. This year, there is no better way to do that than by going to Lupo’s S&S Char Pit at 6 West State St., where you can find a diverse menu that also specializes in Southern Tier staples.

One of the quintessential delicacies found in the greater Binghamton area is, of course, the spiedie. For those who don’t already know, a spiedie is essentially a sandwich consisting of grilled marinated meat that was cooked on a skewer, and served in a crusty roll. It originated from Italian immigrants living in the Binghamton area. At Lupo’s they serve chicken, pork and lamb spiedies, all marinated for 24 hours in a secret-recipe marinade that has been used by the Lupo family for over 50 years. Although the spiedie is what Lupo’s is most famous for, they also have more commonplace items on the menu including hamburgers, sausage and other sandwiches.

Lupo’s S&S Char Pit was founded in 1978 by brothers Steve and Sam Lupo. When you walk into the restaurant you can see why it is popular among locals. The restaurant has a laid-back style that immediately makes you feel at home. The surprising amount of seating and quick service makes it a perfect place to either grab a quick bite to-go or sit down and enjoy your meal with a friend.

Not to mention they have a 20 percent off deal on Mondays for any SUNY student, which is ideal for cash-strapped college students looking to save money on lunch.

“Lupo’s is among the best State Street has to offer,” said Mike Montanti, a sophomore majoring in biology. “It’s a great meal at a great price.”

When I visited Lupo’s, I opted for both the traditional lamb spiedie and the more popular chicken spiedie which, according to owner Steve Lupo, was invented by his brother Sam. Typically grilled chicken can be dry, but the chicken at Lupo’s was juicy and tender. The lamb was also delicious and excellently cooked to the point where it was still tender but not overcooked.

Lupo’s also includes a selection of sauces, including hot sauce and the homemade marinade with which the spiedie meat was originally seasoned. Both meals can come with a “value” option that gives you a choice of many sides and a drink. At Lupo’s you can also pre-order marinated spiedie meat that you can take home and cook yourself to impress your roommates or guests.

Students at Binghamton University have come from different backgrounds and walks of life, but something we all have in common is that we call BU our home. There is no better way to get acclimated to your surroundings and learn the culture than to head out to a restaurant that has been around for generations. Binghamton has seen some rough times recently, but according to Steve Lupo, Lupo’s has been hanging in there for the customers.

“We would’ve been gone, but we stayed because we had a nice base,” Steve Lupo said. He also notes that “[Binghamton] hasn’t gone up, but it’s a small town with an awful lot of pride,” and that “Binghamton is coming back … for sure.”

For $10, you can get a great lunch at Lupo’s. So make sure to head Downtown this Restaurant Week, check out a Binghamton institution and enjoy a sandwich that we are all proud to call our very own.