This past Monday evening, I arrived on Grant Street to meet up with a Pipe Dream photographer and review the underrated Irish pub, House of Reardon. Sitting at the bar sipping on the complimentary Blue Moon the friendly bartender, Rick, handed to me, I eventually realized that this mystery photographer was a no-show [editor’s note: It was the photo editor’s fault]. I was stood up, hard. Here’s why I would prefer to get stood up at House of Reardon than any other restaurant in Binghamton, or maybe anywhere.

When you walk into the room, it immediately gives off a warm, cozy vibe. The space is small, but the heart of the place is big. The eccentric and exceptionally gracious owner, Bob Reardon, took me out back past the quaint patio to their spacious party room (where they host countless catered events), stopping to speak to a customer who, like most of his customers, has a personal relationship with him.

In the party room, Bob and I sipped on beers and I learned about his establishment. In the family since 1922 – making House of Reardon the oldest Irish bar in Broome County – Bob’s great uncle, Tom Reardon, founded the pub. I learned that the restaurant wasn’t always, well, a restaurant. Bob told me that a customer came in this past Sunday and informed him that exactly 71 years before that day, she had had her bridal shower there. She came back upon learning that House of Reardon now sold food.

This loyal customer is a little behind the times. House of Reardon has been selling food since 1985, but this kind of long-term loyalty epitomizes the establishment. House of Reardon is one of a kind in its customer service; all of the employees are on a mission to make their customers feel at home and have a great time.

A prime example of their extraordinary customer care is the arrangement they make on Parade Day and Saint Patrick’s Day. A second portable kitchen is placed out front, and House of Reardon’s elderly customers who want to avoid the drunken ruckus that Binghamton serves up on these green holidays can drive up and pick up their authentic ham and cabbage dinner, a Parade Day and Saint Patrick’s Day special. And House of Reardon does not only cater to the elderly. I, a 21-year-old college student from Long Island, wearing a flowery dress and a jean jacket, stood up by someone I had never met, surrounded by men and women, both strangers to and older than me, had a freaking blast at the place.

Once Bob and I were done talking history and business, we headed over to the bar where we sat with the boys, Rick (the bartender from before, who casually handed me another Blue Moon), Josh and Lenny. For Restaurant Week, they’ll give you lunch for only $10, and dinner for $20. And although there was only one of me there to review their food and establishment, I ate enough dinner for a small village. Placed in front of me were a large quesadilla, half chicken and half cheese; a house salad; and homemade potato chips. Oh, and a basket of funnel fries, which are fluffy variations on funnel cake and not only taste like heaven, but also are unfortunately not offered on the Restaurant Week menu; I’m telling you about them so you’ll be jealous because they’re in my belly. And then they gave me a whole mushroom pizza. Needless to say, I was full.

All of the food tasted fresh, authentic and absolutely delicious. And even though considering the feast I was given I had a lot to take to-go with me, I thoroughly enjoyed eating in-house because of the homey and comfortable environment. So, yeah, I got stood up, and, yeah, I had an awesome time with the guys down at House of Reardon. Come join them in their fourth year participating in Restaurant Week, and make sure to order the homemade potato chips. And tell Bob I say hi.