Note: The below article is from Pipe Dream’s 2014 sex issue.

Whether you love it or hate it, “Fifty Shades of Grey” brought erotica to the literary mainstream and steamy reads to the front of every bookstore. Most of the works on the bestseller shelf seem like cheap porn, but erotica also has a literary side. Make sure to bring this list to the bookstore or library. Don’t worry, the librarians won’t judge you.

“Delta of Venus” by Anaïs Nin — From incest to homosexual desire, the queen of 20th-century erotic literature explores every aspect of human sexuality in 15 short stories using poetic yet crude language. Guaranteed to make you either aroused or uncomfortable. Maybe both.

“Tropic of Cancer” and “Tropic of Capricorn” by Henry Miller — In these semi-autobiographical novels, Miller paints the panorama of early 20th-century sexual liberation as he finds his voice as a writer. The free speech you take for granted, including in this sex issue, comes in great part from the obscenity trials Miller faced after the publication of these works. They’re no longer banned, so go grab a copy of these pieces of history.

“The 120 Days of Sodom” by Marquis de Sade — Ever wondered where the term “sadism” comes from? Your answer lies within the pages of this 18th-century work by the horniest writer ever. Four male libertines, a secluded castle and hundreds of male and female teenagers engaging in acts of dominance and sexual violence are the ingredients of this novel about the sexual dynamic of power.

“Les Liaisons dangereuses” by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos — The novel that brought epistolary erotica (i.e. kinky letters) to public attention. This work is not only a classic of erotic literature, but considered one of the masterpieces of 18th-century literature. Careful: You might end up siding with the Jacobins after this one.