Not far from the heart of Downtown Binghamton is a place where inventive cooking and meticulous brewing take place. Since 2011, Water Street Brewing Co. has not only been experimenting with malts, barleys and hops, but also reinventing the classic brewhouse fare with flavorful results, catering to meat- and veggie-loving palates alike.

Owners Michele and John met in 2006 and have been perfecting their brewing techniques since. Michele’s business background combined with John’s industrial knowledge, along with their mutual love of good beer and wine, move the machinery behind the continuous flow of fragrances and flavors at Water Street. After living in Munich and perfecting their brewing skills, they turned what once was a hobby into a profession without compromising the spirit that defines what they do: “Fresh. Local. Uncomplicated.”

String lights, a cozy bar, Pink Floyd and the aroma of beer in the making give the restaurant its character. The selection of beer and wine is always changing: From stouts to pale ales, whites to ports, the carefully chosen brews and wines will certainly satisfy all kinds of taste buds. While American-style beers are on tap, the guys at Water Street Brewing Co. specialize in European-style brews, of course, in their own style — not copying, but making something completely different while still retaining the traditional flavors and aromas of English beers like Hefeweizen, Baltic porter and others. Delicious Saranac sodas are also available for the non-drinkers and the underage.

Their current seasonal brew is the Plan Bee, a 5.7 percent ABV bittered honey ale, perfect for the oncoming warmer days — the kind of beer you get by the growler without asking many questions.

The food, like the beer, is delicious and carefully prepared to ensure the maximum quality. An eclectic menu brings together plates from all over the world. Gluten-free and vegetarian dishes are available, so there are options for all tastes. Make sure to ask what kind of drink goes well with your food. These people know their trade, and will give you the best options to enjoy your meal.

For Restaurant Week, the options are varied and well-thought-out. Start your dinner with a hearty Belgian sweet and sour stew or a roasted red pepper and squash bisque, followed by either stuffed portobello mushrooms, a salmon burger or a flank steak, all served with grilled artichoke, garlic asparagus or a fresh and spicy tomato salad. Finish your meal with a strawberry short cupcake or a delicious peanut butter and toffee bar topped with French vanilla ice cream. The portions are generous, and the menu includes a glass of WSBC beer or wine. A three-course dinner that feels like six courses, for only $20.

Water Street Brewing Co. offers a different experience from other breweries. Whether you’re a fan of beer, wine or you’re a teetotaler, there’s something for everyone waiting at this cozy shrine of aromas, a block away from the Chenango and Susquehanna Rivers.