In a genre where greatness is defined by your producer and the label representing you, hip-hop trio Ground Up is proving that hard work and fan loyalty can do even better.

The trio, consisting of two MCs, Alexander Azar (Azar) and Malcolm McDowell (Malakai), and one producer, Bijan Houshiarnejad (Bij Lincs), performed at the Venue Sports Bar & Music Hall on Thursday, preceded by opening acts DJ Che, Christian Express and MAZON.

Ground Up began in the summer of 2008 at freshman orientation at Temple University, when MCs Azar and Malakai met and began recording tracks together. Soon after, Bij Lincs, Azar’s friend, joined both MCs to create Ground Up.

Since its inception, Ground Up has made quite the grumble in the music industry. The trio has landed opening gigs for artists like Chiddy Bang, Rick Ross, Meek Mill, Gucci Mane and Chris Webby. They’ve also been featured in publications like The Huffington Post, despite not being signed to a major label.

What makes Ground Up so unique is its independence. Most of its music is created in the members’ northern Philadelphia house, Ground Up Sounds LLC. Here, Bij Lincs makes head-nodding, smoked-out beats filled with bass and hypnotic drum lines while Azar and Malakai lay down verses to create a sound that is best enjoyed with your buds and some bud. Azar and Malakai are perfect complements to each other; Azar’s voice and delivery are rugged and in-your-face, while Malakai’s sound is much smoother and gentler, almost Drake-like. Ground Up’s songs range from the thoughtful and introspective, like “Started,” to the fun, upbeat and accessible, like “Got Damn.” Music isn’t the only creative venture centered in Ground Up Sounds LLC — designs for Ground Up’s independent clothing line MDCCXI are also made there.

The Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) fraternity hosted the event on Thursday through David Silver, the CEO of Broad Street Music Group (the company in charge of Ground Up’s touring) and member of the fraternity at Temple University. AEPi has elected to give all ticket funds to Save a Child’s Heart, an Israeli-based charity dedicated to providing cardiac care for children in developing countries.

Dan Litt, a member of of AEPi and a sophomore majoring in geography who organized the event, said he was excited to see his work come to fruition.

“They are very good musicians, and the show provided a great chance for a philanthropic event that everyone could enjoy,” Litt said.

In just three years, Ground Up has released nine mixtapes and is only getting started. Most of their work, including their clothing line and most recent mixtape, entitled “Promiseland,” can be found on their website.