For those of us not gifted with the magic of music, the strong music community on campus may seem useless. However, it’s the music that gives the campus its character, its beat. It’s how we walk down the Spine, how we spend our Saturday nights, who we are and how we see and hear ourselves. Perhaps most importantly, it’s how we’re heard.

The goal of Binghamton University student L “Rampage” Frim, a senior double-majoring in music and creative writing, is to amp up a static community in order to ensure that people are able to express themselves. Her project, tentatively named “Note the Color,” is an ambitious music project aimed at a large collaboration of musicians all jamming out together and practicing their art.

“Bridging the divide between student musicians, as well as off-campus musicians, to create a sense of musical and social community” is the project’s mission. Frim, who spends an extensive amount of time Downtown, has realized the deep well of talent there. By creating a more cohesive on-campus music community, Frim hopes to bridge the obvious gap between the campus and the local community. Frim used herself as an example: she is now singing for a new band, L and the Symbiotic Dance, which is comprised of local musicians, her being the only Binghamton University student in the band.

While the project seems a little far-reaching, Frim asserts that it can work. That is, if the campus is ready for it. According to Frim, the world is rapidly changing, and the time to pursue a project as ambitious as this is now.

“Obama has been reelected, all this legalization, this is time for a cultural revolution,” Frim said.

The truth of the matter is, Binghamton is not the sunniest place around, and people really feel that. When it rains, all the good vibes and colors get washed away.

“What’s better than on a cold and rainy day to have somebody come over and just serenade you? I’ve done it, and people’s moods are automatically uplifted,” Frim said. This project is a push for more personal expression, and more public personal expression. To amp up the music community would bring more color and more energy to campus. L “Rampage” Frim speaks from experience. She knows how music has kept her life full of color and hope. A self-proclaimed “disciple of the Universe,” Frim wishes to spread the music by giving musicians a place to call home and a group to call family. The only requirement to join is the willingness to do the work and take ownership of one’s own musical talents.

“[The rules] are up to the discretion of the musicians; I’m not going to make the rules,” Frim said. “I’m opening a window; people need to come through it themselves.”

Her goal is not to be the lead singer or the spotlight act, but the “driving force” of the project, making it possible for others to step into the spotlight.

L “Rampage” Frim’s advice for the campus community was “to be open, free, accepting. To be themselves and let others be themselves.” And for all musicians out there yearning for a place to jam, look her up, she’s on Facebook.