The Saturday before the presidential election, 12-year-old J.J. Holmes woke up at 3 a.m. to embark on a two-hour drive to Tampa with his mother and sisters. Holmes, who has cerebral palsy, was attending a rally for President-elect Donald Trump, intending to voice his criticism of Trump for his mockery of a reporter with a disability.

The fledgling political junkie used his computer vocalization device to communicate “Dump Trump” and “Trump mocks the disabled.” Trump supporters drowned out Holmes’ device, which warranted laughter from the president-elect. After Holmes’ mother and sisters echoed Holmes’ chants, Trump called for their removal from the rally and they were physically and verbally harassed by zealous fans.

Individuals with disabilities remain one of the largest marginalized groups in our country, and one of the most exploited. In 2010, Sarah Palin went on a tirade against Seth MacFarlane for an episode of “Family Guy” that involved Chris Griffin dating a classmate with Down syndrome. The Broadway-style number “Down Syndrome Girl” was in poor taste, but the overall message of the episode was clear: People with Down syndrome are no better and no worse than people without Down syndrome.

In the episode, Ellen, voiced by an actress with Down syndrome, proved to be mean, sarcastic and a downright bitch. Yet, Ellen was human, not endowed with an angelic quality often ascribed to people with disabilities. “Down’s syndrome is a challenge, not a disability,” said Andrea Friedman, the actress who voiced Ellen. “You work hard, as hard as you can. I grew up with a normal life.” Friedman also criticized the former governor of Alaska for coming to her defense, implying that Palin was exploitative of people with Down syndrome.

Yet, when radio host Michael Smerconish asked Palin about her thoughts of Trump’s mockery of a disabled reporter, Palin claimed ignorance of what had happened. “Oh, yeah, I saw the footage, I think it was just yesterday, or two days ago. Yeah. And um, again, if that was mocking an individual, if that’s accurate, then, no, you don’t — I — it’s terrible, its terrible,” Palin said.

This year the anti-abortion organization, Americans United for Life, launched the “Infants’ Protection Project,” which seeks to hinder abortion specifically for the basis of a fetus with a disability. They have likened abortion to eugenics, and use people with disabilities as pawns to advance their anti-choice agenda. They have perpetuated the stereotype of individuals with disabilities as helpless.

Americans United for Life and other pro-life groups can crusade well enough without exploiting individuals with disabilities as poor, defenseless creatures that need to be rescued from the horrors of Planned Parenthood and other pro-choice agencies. Many people with disabilities, specifically Down syndrome, are pro-choice, and do not want their condition to be appropriated to advance a political agenda.

Jamie Brewer, a model and actress most frequently known for her work on “American Horror Story,” has Down syndrome. No, she does not suffer from the condition, nor does she languish or desire to be “normal.” On the contrary, Brewer thrives. “It’s a true inspiration being a role model for any young woman to [encourage them] in being who they are and showing who they are,” she said. Despite never issuing her stance on abortion, Brewer is often used as a poster child for the pro-life movement. Brewer should be celebrated as a paragon of success in the Down syndrome community, but should not be exploited for a cause we don’t know she supports.

People with disabilities do not need able-bodied individuals to be their knights in shining armor. Yet, all people should speak up when a group is being cruelly harassed for their conditions. We must stop infantilizing people with disabilities, but continue to respect their needs and be sensitive to the challenges they face.

Kristen DiPietra is a junior double-majoring in English and human development.