Open Letter to Binghamton University Students:

As the Labor Representative for the unionized food service workers at Binghamton University, I am writing to ask for your support in helping our members achieve a fair contract that calls for a livable wage for our hardworking members.

After several months of negotiations between the company and UPSEU Local 1222, it appeared that both sides were close to a fair agreement. In January, the company cancelled two scheduled negotiation dates. Upon canceling the second date, Sodexo negotiator Gerry McLaughlin also informed the union that the company is withdrawing all previous offers and will present a “new” set of proposals to the union.

On January 30, 2016, the union met with Sodexo, at which time Sodexo presented proposals that called for the following: Zero increase in wages. Zero increase in shift differential. Rejected union proposal for longevity for employees with five or more years. Rejected union proposal to expand shift differential to 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Rejected union proposal to reduce the amount paid for health insurance. Rejected union proposal for an attendance bonus. Rejected union proposal for 401K. Rejected union proposal for three-year contract and proposed a one-year contract that would expire in October 2016 even though Sodexo has a ten-year contract with the University.

Sodexo cites the reasons for their offer, or lack thereof, on what they refer to as a “perfect storm” of events, which include an increase in minimum wage, a retirement fund withdrawal liability, among other things. Sodexo is the 19th largest employer in the world and their revenues last year exceeded $23 billion. Additionally, Sodexo signed a ten-year, $350 million contract with the University in June 2015.

In the past 13 years, Sodexo has been able to exploit the hardworking employees on campus, which resulted in poverty wages and poor benefits. If not for Governor Cuomo raising the minimum wage, many of our members would still be making less than $8 an hour. For years, Sodexo and Binghamton University lined their already bulging pockets on the sweat of our members and have given little or nothing in return.

The union appealed to President Stenger for support from the University. Instead of offering support, President Stenger refused to meet with the union, choosing to have legal counsel respond to our request, citing the University policy which pertains to public employee unions. By choosing to hide behind a policy that does not pertain to our union, President Stenger has essentially left the Sodexo employees on his campus to fend for themselves. In doing so, Mr. Stenger has snubbed his nose at those less fortunate who count on him to be their voice on campus.

UPSEU Local 1222 is asking for the Students at Binghamton University to stand behind our hardworking members who perform a difficult and sometimes thankless job. Please voice your concerns by putting Binghamton University and Sodexo on notice that the employees on campus deserve a fair contract now. You can contact President Stenger at president@binghamton.edu or (607) 777-2131.

On behalf of the members of UPSEU Local 1222, we thank you for your support.

Paul Iachetta Bryan Staul

Labor Relations Representative Labor Relations Representative