Following the shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon that left nine people dead, Pipe Dream’s production staff participated in an active shooter training hosted by the Binghamton University Police Department. In a previous editorial, we encouraged Binghamton University students to take advantage of this free resource, as the pattern of senseless carnage has only seemed to continue in this country. Unfortunately, UPD has not seen any sort of notable increase in requests for this training on our campus.

Following Wednesday’s massacre in San Bernardino, California, the Editorial Board feels obligated to revisit this topic. Though we sincerely hope that a tragedy like this never strikes our campus, BU students and faculty must come to terms with the fact that in 2015, gun violence strikes randomly and without warning. Our training, though modest, provided us valuable knowledge and perspective about what to do in a dangerous shooter situation. If students still do not feel compelled to take this short training course, we will use our platform to share what we learned:

In a crisis situation, your mindset is important. Those with a survivor mentality — who have the will and belief that they will make it out of an active shooter situation — are more likely to do so.

If you hear shots — which sound more like “pops” than “bangs” — first determine whether or not it is safe to leave your current location. If you believe that you can exit safely, do so as soon as possible and get as far away from the threat as you can.

If you must remain in place, be aware of your surroundings. Wherever you are, lock yourself in that space and remain quiet. Barricade the door and close the shades on the windows. Try not to call attention to yourself and keep calm. Be sure to silence your cell phone.

If you are in a group, do not hide together. Though you might want to stay close, it is safer to spread out around the room. Make sure to stay away from doorways and out of view from windows. If a shooter passes by a dark, quiet room and doesn’t see anyone, they are likely to move on without entering.

If a shooter does enter the room, do not cower — attack. Throw any items within reach at them. A single shooter can only point a firearm at one person at a time, and can be overwhelmed if a number of people work together to subdue him or her.

Binghamton University does its best to keep students safe, but the reality is that this type of violence can be hard to prevent. Education and awareness can help save lives in a crisis situation, and being prepared is key. Sign up for an active shooting training — you only have knowledge to gain.