Elizabeth Manning/Editorial Artist

On Monday afternoon, Binghamton University director of athletics Patrick Elliott announced that women’s soccer coach Sarah McClellan will not be returning next season. McClellan will be reassigned within the department and serve in a different capacity until December 2016, when her contract expires.

While the decision was no doubt difficult, the Editorial Board commends Elliott for making the tough but correct choices, not just in this instance, but throughout his tenure at BU.

McClellan compiled a 54-74-14 record at the helm of the women’s soccer team and led the program to five America East postseason births, including reaching the championship game in 2009 — but the team clearly regressed this season. In 2014, BU advanced to the America East quarterfinal that season, where the team lost in heartbreaking fashion to New Hampshire in a penalty kick shootout. But in 2015, the Bearcats fell from grace. The team failed to win a game for nearly two months, dropping 11 straight contests in the process.

Elliott has continually demonstrated that he is not comfortable with the status quo and he does not accept failure. He has proven that he is here to improve the myriad of mediocre — and sometimes terrible — BU athletics programs and will not tolerate severe regression of teams.

As the BU athletics director, Elliott has been faced with difficult decisions and he has never shied away from making change necessary changes. His first major task after taking the position in November of 2011 was dealing with Mark Macon’s horrendous basketball program. Granted, Macon inherited a difficult situation after the scandal that rocked the program following the 2009 season, but he never moved the program forward. So, Elliott made a coaching change, luring current Bearcat head coach Tommy Dempsey away from Rider to BU.

Going forward, Elliott faced similar situations and continued to position Binghamton for future success. In 2014, the Binghamton women’s basketball team lacked depth, energy and talent. Elliott decided not to renew the contract of then Bearcat head coach Nicole Scholl, electing to bring in current coach Linda Cimino. In her short time at the head of the program, she has infused Binghamton with an up-tempo style, bringing much needed energy.

Elliott should be applauded for a host of other accomplishments outside of his ability to make tough decisions. Elliott successfully pitched for Binghamton to host the 2015 and 2016 America East women’s basketball Championships, a huge boast for the University and the city. He has been instrumental in increasing school spirit, including the implementation of Green Day Friday. Binghamton has also had seven conference championship teams, seven individual All-Americans and 88 America East All-Academic selections since Elliott took over the athletics department. The department also received its first individual $1 million donation early this month.

His ability to make these moves and decisions clearly show that he is supported by the administration, as he should be. With Elliott in charge, fans of Binghamton athletics should be hopeful for the future. This forward-minded spirit and expectation of excellence is one we hope will grow outside of BU athletics, and catch on throughout campus. We like what we have seen from Elliot thus far, and look forward to seeing more in the future.