This past weekend, Binghamton University had its first-ever pride parade. The Editorial Board commends the University for the strides it has taken to promote LGBTQ-inclusiveness on-campus, both literally with this parade, and with the the designation of 52 bathrooms as gender neutral and the option of gender-inclusive housing that was opened in the fall of 2014.

And while these additions are certainly necessary and beneficial to many students — after all, we all use the bathroom — they can’t be very helpful if they can’t be found. Despite there being dozens of gender-neutral bathrooms on campus, they are remarkably difficult to find. In fact, there is no map of where these facilities are on campus. Short of walking around the halls of the University and hoping for the best, there is no practical way for a genderqueer student to find a toilet.

The University must, at the very least, put a list of where these bathrooms are on its website so students who need them know where to find them. Another suggestion is for each gender-neutral bathroom to include a map — perhaps near the hand dryer — of campus with locations of other gender-neutral bathrooms highlighted. Being able to easily find a bathroom is something that most of us take for granted, but that people outside of the narrow gender binary cannot. No student should enter a building on this campus without knowing if they’ll be able to relieve themselves should the need arise.

And while we are making these resources easily accessible, there are a few more to add on. At Bowdoin College, every bathroom stall on campus has a list of students — LGBTQ and allies — who can be contacted in the event that a queer student needs someone to talk to. This is a completely doable option for the University — laminated lists in all of the gender-neutral bathrooms with phone numbers and email addresses of students who can sign-up, either with the University or through the Rainbow Pride Union, as a support system. This will work great for introverted students, students who don’t feel ready or safe to be out on-campus and students who are uncomfortable in group and club settings.

A gender-neutral bathroom is more than a place for a student to do their business; it’s a safe space for students who have to constantly deal with a world that is hostile toward queer people. Gender-neutral bathrooms provide momentary reprieves from daily, imposed heteronormativity. Queer students have a basic right to safety and comfort on this campus; let’s ensure they have that.