In light of the recent movements to increase police surveillance, the city of Binghamton will be issuing 90 body cameras to the city’s police officers.

The body camera bill comes to us via executive action by Mayor Rich David. The Editorial Board commends Mayor David for his commitment to pushing police surveillance in the direction of progress. Most cities across the country have yet to fully implement body camera programs in their police forces, and we’re proud that Binghamton is part of the first wave of this movement. Programs are underway in major cities like Denver and Los Angeles, but few cities report having fully implemented programs. It’s good to see Binghamton getting on board at the forefront, especially when other places like Boston have yet to even begin considering police cameras.

It is a step forward that shows that fair justice is a priority in Binghamton, and can help put many at ease. Police cameras are designed to avoid error. The camera itself is about the size of a tube of Chapstick, and can attach to an officer’s headgear or collar. The Binghamton Police Department will be using the Axon model, designed by the company Taser, which features a raised button that must be double-clicked to start recording. According to the company, the double-click keeps an officer from accidentally recording, and the raised button allows for easy access.

Though the BPD patrols the entire city of Binghamton, we feel that they will be particularly helpful on State Street, where the combination of alcohol and large crowds can occasionally lead to rowdy situations. The body cameras act as a two-way street; students will feel safer interacting with local police if they know officers will be held accountable for their actions, and perhaps students will hold themselves to a higher standard of behavior if they know they’re being filmed. While some drunken moments Downtown are unfortunately unavoidable, this will hopefully set a higher standard for student conduct. Regardless, these cameras will add an extra layer of accountability to student-police interactions on State Street.

We do recognize that there will be a learning curve. Once the devices are available for officers, regulations still have to be put in place in terms of appropriate use. Until the kinks are worked out, we will not see this equipment on University police. However, if the program proves to be a success in the city, we encourage the state to invest in this technology for our officers. After all, we could certainly benefit from increased accountability from both parties.