Hi everyone, my name is Nick Vega and I am Pipe Dream’s editor-in-chief. If this is your first time picking up a copy of Pipe Dream, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay. If you are a returning reader, I thank you for your dedication (even if you just wanted to see if you came out in Weekend Warriors).

I inherited a decent newspaper at the end of spring semester, but I’ll be the first to tell you that we have a lot of room for improvement. In my quest for inspiration, I found this quote:

“We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster.”

Some of you may recognize that quote from the opening of “The Six Million Dollar Man,” a show that ran on ABC from 1973-1978. Now, I’ve never seen that show, but I think the quote is awesome. And, if everything goes according to plan, it will serve as a mantra for this year’s Pipe Dream staff.

We hope to soon unveil a new, updated website with increased functionality and — hopefully — blogging and podcasting capabilities. We are also in the process of building a Pipe Dream app, so that you can take your favorite campus news with you everywhere you go.

But new, shiny tech will be meaningless if we can’t deliver content that you want to consume. Though Binghamton University does not have a journalism school — or even a journalism major — we put in countless hours reporting, researching, photographing, designing and writing to put out a paper twice a week, every week, for you.

The goal for this year is to be a better paper than we were last year; to better serve and represent the student body. We are meant to be a newspaper for all students at Binghamton University, and we will continue to strive toward that goal.

Pipe Dream was founded in 1946 as The Colonial News, way back when Binghamton University was still called Triple Cities College. We’ve been here as long as this University, and currently have more than 200 student contributors and editors. That means that we have to hold ourselves to a high standard. If ever you feel that Pipe Dream fails to cover things that are meaningful to you, or that you are not represented by us, I urge you to let me know. If you ever read a story in Pipe Dream and think “I can do better than that,” come stop by our office and talk to one of the section heads. We are always looking for new members.

I am tremendously excited for the things we are going to do this year. I’m sure that you will find something that you will enjoy, whether it’s the comics in Fun Page, the features in news or the staff editorials. Perfection is our goal, and though we might not be able to reach it, we will aim for it each and every issue.

The future is bright for Pipe Dream. I hope you come along for the ride.