With every fall semester comes the alluring promise of change. New and returning students have clean slates to improve on years past and make sure the coming year is as good as can be. Binghamton University has unveiled some obvious changes, from the rebranding of our logo to the brand new alumni center.

Some freshmen arrive to campus hoping that their next four years will mimic the cultish collegiate pride felt at many Big 10 schools and are disappointed when they find out that it’s not exactly the case here. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Your college experience is what you make of it, so why not take the passion you had planned and support what we’ve got.

It’s no secret that Binghamton University students don’t have a lot of school spirit. Our teams play in front of mostly empty seats, and we openly yearn for the pride seen at schools like University of Michigan. But spirit is a two-way street. It can’t be generated solely by students or solely by the University.

It is unfair to wish we had a basketball team that has the Events Center rocking every game and then also scoff at Binghamton Athletics’ pushes for increased fandom at sporting events such as Green Day Friday. Let’s get on board with the program. What’s the harm in trying it out? If something small like wearing green on Fridays can boost school pride, that’s great. If it doesn’t work out, no harm, no foul.

While we’re at it, let’s go to some games. Sure, we aren’t known for our sports, but we’re well on the road to improvement. Show our players that you care by filling the stands. And regardless of whether the Bearcats win, the game can still be a guaranteed good time. Instead of pregaming for a night Downtown by going to your friend’s flat in Dickinson Community, head over to the Events Center and shout until you’re hoarse. Heck, smuggle in some mixed drinks if you want to. Trust us, you’ll love going to BU a lot more when you watch men’s basketball take on the University at Albany.

And just as the University is evolving, so is the surrounding city. Binghamton is on the rebound, and is continuing on a path toward becoming a full-fledged college town like Ithaca. Grab a group of friends and go to a Binghamton Mets game. Head Downtown and check out local artists on a First Friday, or treat yourself to a Restaurant Week dinner out. There’s a lot to do beyond house parties and State Street, and if students support local businesses they will only continue to grow. The city is unfolding in front of us, but can’t continue if we don’t take advantage of these opportunities.

This city is going to be your home for at least a few years — treat it as such. Don’t be afraid to have genuine interactions and experiences. Engage in the community. If students have pride in the city of Binghamton, the community can respond by having pride in the University.

Whether this is your first semester or your last, grab this opportunity to make a change. Start the semester off right.