In a world that has become particularly indifferent to the arts, I came to Binghamton University with the intention of being a STEM student. However, through exploring other disciplines, I found that I also had an interest in the English language. In order to reconcile my passions, I decided to double-major in physics and English. While it’s been rough, the experience has been both extensive and eclectic. The hardest part of being a double-major, other than fulfilling all of the credit requirements, is keeping your mind focused on two very different things. I mean, who doesn’t want to study quantum mechanics while taking Shakespeare with Gayle Whittier?

I’ve had my fair share of mediocre professors, as well as a select few professors who have undoubtedly changed my life. One such professor is Joe Weil. After completing two creative writing workshops with Weil, I had the incredible opportunity to do an independent study with him focused on the poetry of Hart Crane. Weil is one of the most intelligent, caring and respectful people I have ever met. He imparted to me such important life lessons that I never would have learned in other classes. While I’m an introvert at heart, Weil provided an environment where I felt comfortable enough to share my own work and, as a result, grew as a person as well as a writer. It’s a refreshing experience to have a professor who actually cares about your well-being, not just your work.

If you had asked me when I first came to this school if I’d ever pledge for a frat or wear Greek letters, I’d probably have laughed in your face. But then I discovered the Alpha Delta Phi Society. I pledged during my junior year. It’s never too late to join a group. In the end, it was one of the best decisions that I made during my entire time at BU. The Phi opened me up to an entire community of artistic and interesting people, a family that’s not only built up my self-confidence, but also has (slightly) diminished my overall pessimism regarding humanity.

Joining groups is one way to turn a standard college career into an incredible life-changing experience. I joined Pipe Dream during my freshman year as a copy editor, eventually working my way up to assistant copy desk chief. During my four years with Pipe Dream, I got to work with a bunch of new people, and I saw the paper change each year, only for the better. While I may not have said much in the office, I enjoyed the chance to work with the staff toward something greater than ourselves. I still don’t understand why we don’t use oxford commas in AP Style, and I never will. I give a fuck about an oxford comma!

I’ve been called one with no exposition, but to those who I’ve come close with I’d like to make the following acknowledgements.

To Emily, it was an absolute pleasure working side by side with you at the copy desk, and I’ll never forget that Pindell class we suffered through together.

To Katie, I’ll always hold our life talks close to my heart. You’re a beautiful person inside and out. I’m glad we grew so close.

To the rest of the copy staff, I’d address you all by name, but there’s a word limit here. You know how I feel about each of you, and I’m relieved to know that copy is in such competent hands.

To Rich, I cherish the days we spend together. Thank you for everything, and I love you.

To Kerry, after that Wiz Khalifa concert I would never have imagined that we’d become best friends. We’ve come so far since then, and I love you so much.

To Mom and Dad, thanks for all the support. I wouldn’t be here without you guys, and for this I’m forever grateful.

– Paul Palumbo is a senior double majoring in English and physics and Pipe Dream’s Assistant Copy Desk Chief 2014-2015