College is a place where you have the freedom to do as you please. It’s a place where you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want, with whomever you want. College is a place where you can be whomever you want to be. It’s a place where you discover yourself and really find out who you are and what you can become. For me, Binghamton University did that and more.

When I first got here, I enjoyed a life free of many day-to-day restrictions. I went to classes, did my homework, played video games and partied on the weekends. I also played sports a lot. For anyone who knows anything about me, I love sports. Watching sports, playing sports, discussing sports, it doesn’t matter. Anything sports related interests me. As a young college student, I chose to play intramurals and pick-up games of football, soccer, basketball, baseball and volleyball with my friends.

Playing sports was really something that I could connect with, something that brought me together with other people. Participation in sports provided an outlet and a place where I could feel a sense of community. I think that’s part of the reason I love sports as much as I do. Sports allow me to be a part of something so much bigger than myself. They surround me with others who bring out the best in me and encourage me to reach my full potential.

Pipe Dream has done this for me, too. I was brought in as part of the family, and I became an intern junior year. Though the idea was to get four easy credits, the results were more than simply a good grade. The following year I was brought in on a new design staff with two other very talented designers, Emma and John. Together, we went above and beyond what was expected of us. I’m so proud of what we’ve accomplished in the past year.

In a world dominated by professional sports, where mostly every kid grows up idolizing athletes around the world, Pipe Dream became my new sport, new team and new family. Working as a team brought us closer, so much closer than I imagined. I think one of the greatest things I’ve realized is how much better it is to be a part of something bigger than yourself, and my passion toward Pipe Dream shows exactly how beneficial such an experience can be. I’m very thankful not only for my Pipe Dream teammates, but everything we’ve achieved together. We’ve left our mark on Pipe Dream, and I expect the new staff to push the paper even further in the coming years.