On Saturday, April 25, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the small Himalayan nation of Nepal at approximately 12:00 p.m. Nepal Standard Time. The quake’s epicenter was between Kathmandu and Pokhara, the nation’s largest cities. As a result, the earthquake caused immense damage. Estimates of the dead are as high as 3,700, a figure which is expected to rise in the coming days as rescue teams reach remote, mountainous regions in the country. Thousands of Nepalese have spent the past couple of nights outdoors in massive “tent cities,” either because they have lost their homes or are afraid of the aftershocks that have been occurring since the first quake.

Many people will want to help the earthquake victims and survivors in any way possible. Though there are various ways that you can help, the most useful would be donating money to a reputable charity organization such as the International Red Cross, the World Food Programme or Oxfam.

Many people contemplate going to countries afflicted by natural disasters to personally assist in relief efforts with international aid organizations. Despite this, organizations only accept foreign nationals with particular and immediately useful skill sets. Additionally, some organizations like the Red Cross require some degree of training regarding disaster situations. In fact, the Australian Red Cross stated that its volunteers get “extensive training before being deployed” and that donating money is the best way to support them.

Another common misconception is that you should donate items such as blankets, clothes, food and other physical goods. While this might seem like an excellent method of contributing to the relief effort, it is not as useful as donating money. This is because aid agencies lack the time and resources to effectively sort through all of the miscellany that comes pouring in immediately after a disaster. In fact, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) states that clothing is “rarely a useful item” to donate to relief efforts.

Sometimes certain items aren’t even needed. World Vision, for example, had a large stockpile of blankets in Haiti before the 2010 earthquake struck and therefore did not require many blanket donations after the quake’s impact. Though physical donations should be made if an agency specifically requests them, it is far better to donate money. Monetary contributions allow organizations to purchase necessary items in bulk, making the donating process much more effective and reducing the possibility of volunteers receiving donations they cannot use.

Though rushing to the battlefield seems like a great choice in the face of a disaster, making monetary contributions to reputable aid agencies is truly the best option. The next time something unfortunate occurs, consider donating money to those who need it. You won’t regret it.