Insulting or discriminating against someone based on their race is repugnant. All people of good will can agree on that score. But what is the best way to deal with this problem which, undeniably, still exists in America today? The best way is to confront racist speech and make a firm stand for equality. The solutions, or as they would call them, “demands,” that Students for Change proposes, however, are not only counterproductive but are opposed to the ideals of liberalism and free speech upon which Binghamton University rests.

Here is one of their demands: “Added to the Student Code of Conduct, students caught using offensive or subjective language to an individual or group based on age, color, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, martial [sic] status, national/ethnic origin, religion, veteran status, sex (pregnancy), political affiliation or family medical or genetic information and university status should be subject to prompt and severe sanctioning for violating a University policy.”

This blatantly endorses using the force of the University judicial system to punish students for speech that can be spoken in either a private or a public setting. This is directly opposed to the First Amendment and to the principle of free exchange. Even “subjective” language would qualify. As written, this would mean that if I say that socialism is an evil system that results in widespread poverty and loss of economic liberty, I could be hauled before a campus court and charged with a host of offenses.

Students for Change also advocates the following: “There should be a mandatory cultural competency course as a General Education requirement for all Binghamton University students in order to be eligible for graduation.” We already have GenEds in pluralism and global interdependencies.

Students for Change has not made a convincing case that racism is rampant at BU. They present two forms of evidence: screenshots of racist posts on Yik Yak, and the fact that the demographics of the faculty and student body do not represent that of New York state. The posts on Yik Yak are indeed insulting, but if someone does not want to view them, they don’t have to use the app. We should not have a sweeping overhaul in University policy because a couple of idiots posted ignorant things on a social media app. There is an extremely important distinction between institutional racism and isolated posts that could have been made by people who aren’t even BU students.

As to the demographic issue, the University should hire the faculty who are best qualified to teach in their respective fields. Does anyone actually want a less competent professor to be qualified merely because of the color of his or her skin? Race should not be a factor in the hiring of professors.

As to the demographics of the student body, BU should accept those students who meet the academic criteria that BU requires. Many students of color may prefer to apply to schools other than Binghamton; there is absolutely no evidence that the admissions office is racist in its admittance policies.

Students for Change has other demands, but I only have the space to address the most egregious among them. Let’s stand up for freedom of speech, strong academic quality and for equal treatment of people of all races and sexes. We can do all of these at the same time without compromising the core values that make Western civilization great.

Daniel Milyavsky is a senior majoring in biology and the editor emeritus of the Binghamton Review