Miriam Geiger/ Editorial Artist

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: sleeping in Bartle, pretending to study and slipping on ice. Also, you get to read Pipe Dream’s fall report card, in which the Editorial Board evaluates the performance of some people and institutions on campus. Our gift to you.

Expansion: C-

Binghamton University’s efforts to increase enrollment by 5,000 over the course of six years have been bumpy, to say the least. The plan to increase enrollment may be well intentioned, but the administration’s failure to enact temporary adjustments causes us to question if such a goal is even feasible. Overcrowded facilities and programs hurt current students and their prospects. Available Pods space and parking remain stagnant, while pressure on these services increases. The advising debacle and changes to class scheduling demonstrate the failure of the administration to make necessary adjustments. Stop telling us that growth brings challenges and provide some real solutions for the problems of current students.

Dining: B+

On-campus food options improved slightly this semester. The opening of Moghul’s Marketplace location serves as a model for future integration between local businesses and Sodexo. Though a bit pricey, Moghul is by far the most delicious food on campus. Sodexo also improved the quality of dining hall pizza, a cause for celebration amongst New Yorkers tired of freezer-burned bricks passing for actual pizza.

There is still room for improvement. Student groups recently brought attention to the upcoming negotiation of Sodexo’s contract. Sodexo should acknowledge and address their demands to include more locally grown, healthy options produced through ethically sound practices. The implementation of these changes will improve Binghamton dining for students and workers alike.

Also, a vegan vendor in the Marketplace would be great.

ResLife: D+

ResLife screwed up this semester. Though the system worked and students received housing for next year, the decision to reschedule housing sign-ups with zero student input or advance notice is unacceptable. The decision was not in the best interests of students. The claim that ResLife leaders overheard support for the change “in the halls” is suspicious. We aren’t buying it. It seems the change is part of a larger effort by ResLife to secure its financial interests and compete with popular off-campus housing options. The willingness of ResLife to act so carelessly with little explanation makes us uneasy about its future policy decisions. The fact that it minimally worked, and students at least have a place to live next year is not a sign of success. The bar should be set higher. Any freshman on campus will tell you how incredibly stressful the housing process was this fall. It was unnecessary and insensitive.

OCCT: A

Buses are late as usual, but generally no more late than usual, so that’s okay. On the up side, the inbound/outbound system took some getting used to, but it makes a lot of sense. City bus routes aren’t being duplicated, leaving space for the extant buses to go to places that needed it. We also like the improvements that were made earlier this semester, adding more buses to the popular routes during peak hours. It’s good to know that OCCT can adapt to our needs.

SAPB: A-

The Student Association Programming Board has been pretty solid. Frost Fest was appropriately scaled, instead of reaching for a large-scale festival few would attend. Nick Offerman was a big-name choice that few other schools got, and Trey Songz was fun. We only wish you got Iggy, guys. Come on.

If we were grading the Student Association as a whole, we’d ask them to see us after class. It feels like the SA has been sticking up for our interests by saving B-Line as we know it and speaking out against the new housing policy. However, we haven’t seen much else come out of the office but voucher rejections, and there has been some general griping about B-Engaged. We’re expecting you guys to really step it up next semester.

Sports: B

It’s hard to look past the W-L records of our basketball programs right now, but the recent success of Binghamton’s other athletic programs redeems the department. The men’s soccer team made it to the semifinals and landed a keeper on the NSCAA’s First-Team All-East Region. The women’s soccer team landed three players on the AE All-Conference Team after falling in penalty kicks in the conference quarterfinals. The wrestling team boasts a No. 17 ranked heavyweight. Point being, the basketball teams may be dismal, but there’s more to Binghamton than its bball.