Paige Gittleman/ Editorial Artist

Welcome to Binghamton University’s 13th annual Homecoming weekend. Yeah, we think it’s weird that there have only been 13, too. We’re glad you’re back at BU. A few things have changed: if you can’t figure out where Dickinson is now, you’re not alone. The Chenango’s reputation has taken over Susquehanna’s. The Food Court is now the Marketplace. You’re clued in.

Now, let’s get down to business.

Many recent alumni visit to reunite with undergrad friends and visit their old stomping grounds, but homecoming is also a time to network with potential employees or co-workers in informal and formal settings. The University organizes a long list of networking and mentoring events in the form of meet and greets and advice panels. If you’re a current student, go take advantage of these events. If you’re an alumna or alumnus, we have a few requests.

As a graduate, you’re in a unique position to change our national standing. By mentoring BU grads and opening the door to career paths, alumni can help expand the visibility and name recognition of Binghamton University, increasing the value of your own degrees. Want U.S. News and World Report to take us seriously? BU’s tiny PR department can only do so much. The better off we are, the better off you are. As the prestige of the school improves, the prestige of your resume will improve. You have the ability to make us all look good.

There are several ways you can do this: One, donate money to the University. College rankings are partly determined by endowment levels and, like many other state schools, our endowment is low. A mere seven percent of Binghamton alumni donate annually. But we understand if you don’t have the cash. Neither do we.

Two, consider us in your hunt for high-quality employees. You of all people understand the value of a Binghamton education and want to see fellow Bearcats succeed professionally. We all know that Binghamton University isn’t a household name, but its quality is better than that of most of the schools that are — we should have the alumni network to go with it. Homecoming is the perfect opportunity to start building these connections.

Beyond formal networking events, socializing in relaxed settings like a tailgate is another great way to scout out talented students. Sometimes even a light-hearted conversation is all a student needs to begin exploring potential avenues of employment. As you may know, making the transition from university life into the working world is a daunting prospect. Interacting with a role model from the same academic background is a rare experience, though Binghamton’s alumni network is steadily growing.

We like to think our outstanding academic performance is enough to put Binghamton on the national radar, but improving the perceived value of a Binghamton education requires alumni support. While you’re basking in nostalgia this weekend, offer advice to your fellow Bearcats. After all, once upon a time you were in the same position. Lending a paw could make all the difference.