Smart commentary on current events can sometimes come from the most unexpected sources. Objective journalism is often touted as the best means of raising awareness, but humor is an equally valid means of addressing important issues. Anyone who watches “South Park” and enjoys it could argue that the show is an effective political mechanism. “South Park” — and other forms of comedy — inspire us to contemplate political topics and confront these issues directly in ways that other mediums can not.

“South Park’s” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone address subjects relevant to every day American culture. In the past, “South Park” has tackled family issues, LGBTQ rights, flaws in education systems and divisive subjects such as abortion and animal rights.

Why is humor so effective? A study released by CBS demonstrated that laughter helps to improve your short term memory and attention span. “South Park” holds our attention because it’s comical, allowing us to fully absorb the topic under discussion. You are more likely to remember a joke that made you laugh rather than dry statement which evokes no emotion.

Humor is unique from the nightly news or C-SPAN in that it targets viewers who may not typically care about politics. Viewers primarily tune into “South Park” for entertainment, not education. We can lament the average American’s short attention span and anti-intellectualism or we can embrace humor as an effective missive for the issues that matter.

Shows like “South Park” provide an outlet for debate. Viewers can frame discussions around the content of the show. For example, “South Park’s” most recent episode, “Cissy,” started a conversation on transgender identity and concerns. In the episode, Stan asks his father, “Dad, is it possible for someone to be one way on the outside, but totally different on the inside? I mean, can somebody identify as one sex, but be something else, but still have it be nothing about sex?” This question calls attention to the many challenges faced by members of the trans community. Transgender discrimination is a serious issue but it is presented in the context of a funny plot line. It’s no coincidence that this episode was recognized as effective by many LGBTQ organizations, including “Outward,” an online news source committed to raising LGBTQ awareness and by Lorde, an advocate of LGBTQ acceptance.

Comedic approaches to raising awareness and addressing issues are not practices exclusive to “South Park.” Other examples of effective political comedians include Bill Maher, Jon Stewart and Lewis Black. Most recently, the student body and parents gathered at the Events Center on Saturday night to see Nick Offerman’s stand-up routine, but most of them ended up walking away with more than just a good laugh. Offerman discussed many social issues such as environmental degradation, dependency on technology and poor work ethic. We listened because the content was presented in an amusing manner and attended because we were looking for a good joke.

All of us can learn from the examples of political comedians when staging our own arguments and discussions. A comical approach generally promotes a calmer, less anxious disposition. So maybe the next time you find yourself trying to convince others to care about a topic that matters to you, don’t rely on fiery rhetoric, crack a joke instead.