Halloween is the perfect opportunity to showcase your true self. Perhaps, you’ll make your mark in the form of Sexy Kitten, Sexy Nurse, Sexy Construction Worker or any other derivatives of the “Sexy” costume. Halloween opens the door for your inner freak to hit the streets, get some candy and if you’re lucky, a cool new profile pic. But I implore you to not forget another door the Halloween season opens: the bedroom door. Just make sure to enter at your own risk and lock it behind you. With the arrival of makeshift costume stores, discounted special effects makeup and the mass production of costumes demeaning women, what better time than October to give role-play a try?

Role-play can potentially liven up a bedroom or freak out your partner and force your relationship to come to a screeching halt. But if you follow these tips even a latex demon baby doll isn’t off limits. The trick to good role-play is a well-established plot. You don’t need to be an Oscar nominated screenwriter to make up a scenario involving a professor and a student breaking the Binghamton Code of Conduct, or altering the ending of “Scream” to Billy Loomis and Stu getting it on in their Ghostface costumes instead of exacting revenge on Sidney Prescott (my personal favorite). The plot is the most crucial element of any successful role-play, so write your sickest fantasy down on paper or even just as a note in your phone.

After plot, communication is key. It may be embarrassing to tell your partner you want to defile their image of Big Bird forever, but if you want to take advantage of all those costume options at Spirit Halloween, you have to be willing to take that risk. Tell them you had a dream about being Snow White and spanking a dwarf. Maybe you envision yourself as the big bad wolf and you don’t want to eat Little Red Riding Hood in the way everyone expects. The worst that can happen is they say no or think you’re a lunatic. Don’t worry, there are a whole bunch of Bearcats roaming around Vestal willing to try out your wildest fantasy.

Rules: Talk to your partner about your limits. If you don’t mind being spanked but definitely do not want to be tied up by King Kong, make sure you say this ahead of time. This is the perfect way to avoid any discomfort while staying “in scene.” And speaking of staying in scene, don’t get stingy. October is the perfect month to get a year’s worth of supplies, including props, masks and wigs. If you’re stuck in a dorm room with a prude roommate, keep the scene minimal. Here, costume rather than staging will be your friend. But let’s say you have a mansion on Riverside and enough roommates to create a “Clue”-themed orgy. In that case, props like, “it was Mrs. White in the study with the dildo” can only make the experience more fun and enjoyable for all.

That leads us to the most important part, have fun. Get creative. Be willing to make a fool of yourself. This is between you and your partner and letting your kinky side out every once in a while can be liberating. Take advantage of cheap costumes and a surplus of plastic axes and swords. Have some good ol’ dirty fun. Whether you’re two disney princesses or princes going at it in a not-so-Disney fashion, or perhaps a Michael Meyers who wants to stick his victim with a different kind of pointy end, have fun. Brainstorm an idea, talk about it, set up some ground rules and get spooky.