On Oct. 8 — 13 days before the housing deadline — Binghamton University released a list of “22 Reasons to Live On Campus.” Though the list does make a few valid points, it fails to provide students considering moving off campus the information necessary to make a choice suitable for them. As an Editorial Board comprised of upperclassmen living both on and off campus, we hope our input can help students cut through some of the propaganda coming from ResLife and off-campus housing developments to empower students to make this crucial decision for themselves.

On Campus:

Safety: There’s a reason so many students feel comfortable walking across campus at night. Not only is campus well lit and dotted with blue lights, campus’ isolated location in Vestal decreases unwanted foot and vehicle traffic. In order to enter campus past midnight, incoming cars must provide a Binghamton ID or speak to the representative. If a student feels unsafe, the University Police are on duty 24/7 and a mere phone call away. University Police make regular rounds in residence halls and on-campus buildings. Campus is undeniably safer than Downtown Binghamton, an urban area suffering from high crime rates driven by drug abuse and poverty.

Food: As much as students complain about the quality of Sodexo, access to prepared breakfast, lunch and dinner at a discounted cost is convenient. Schoolwork and extracurriculars can be time-consuming, and not having to think about food preparation or cleaning up eliminates a great deal of stress.

Class: 8 a.m. classes five days a week are bad enough without the added task of traveling three miles to get to Lecture Hall. Rolling out of bed in your pajamas five minutes before class starts is a luxury. If you forget your graphing calculator or need a quick power nap, home base is only a few steps away.

Activities: Campus is a hub of extracurricular activity. Club meetings, lectures, performances and special events like the CIW Olympics, the Holi Fesitval or the Dollar Show all occur on campus. Living in the hub gives one a sense of belonging and constant exposure to the diversity of the student body and you’ll be more likely to attend these events if you’re already on campus.

One stop: Laundry, food, utilities and internet costs are rolled in a one-stop, one-time cost, meaning that residential students don’t have to worry about paying separate bills every month. BU’s list claims this makes services cheaper for students, but this isn’t always true. Cost aside, the convenience of bundling costs and services is a selling point for busy, overworked students.

Off Campus:

Community: While on-campus students have access to University events, off-campus students are surrounded by restaurants, art-galleries, local businesses, B-Sens games and more. Breaking out of the campus bubble and joining a larger community can give students a new sense of perspective. It’s nice to be able to walk out of your house or apartment and go to a restaurant, rather than having to organize and plan a trip to get there. There are new opportunities to volunteer and give back to the community through internships and mentoring programs.

Independence: Living off campus is a big step toward getting ready for adulthood. There’s something to be said for house hunting, signing a lease and paying your rent every month. Living on campus beats living at home, but there is still the parental figure of your RA living down the hall. Cooking and cleaning for yourself, as well as having to buy groceries and look after your house or apartment eases you into responsibilities that you will likely be facing upon graduation. It isn’t quite real life, but its an essential transition.

Affordability: Unless you’re planning on living in a luxury apartment, living off campus is much more cost-effective than living on campus. Even with food factored in, you will save several thousands of dollars by living Downtown.

Convenience: Downtown Binghamton isn’t all that far from campus. The OCCT bus system is robust and continues to expand, and there are few areas in which students live that aren’t near a bus route. After learning the schedules, you’ll be able to get to campus whenever you need to — even if you are in a hurry.

Space: Houses are spacious. Apartments are spacious. Dorms are not. If you want personal space and privacy, then getting off the Brain is a no-brainer.

Whether you decide to stay in the dorms or venture Downtown, there is no wrong answer. But it is important to weigh your options. Both have their perks and downfalls, and it’s up to you to decide which beats out the other. Choose what makes you happy; it doesn’t matter if you’re close to the Lecture Hall or to State Street if you aren’t enjoying your stay.