Let us know how we're doing! Take Pipe Dream's Readership Survey
Opinion

Follow your heart but mind your body

With competing interests and aspirations, balance is the key to happiness and success

For the past year and a half or so now, I’ve designed this opinion section. I’ve put in almost every opinion column, guest column and letter to the editor since I started working on it in October 2012, complete with headshot and columnist information, and now it’s time to put mine in.

Rebecca Forney is a senior majoring in comparative literature. It’s kind of surreal, seeing my information written out that way. Newspaper design has little to do with comparative literature, and I don’t intend on pursuing it after graduation. Instead, I’m pursuing my passion, and I have every intention of doing what I love: analyzing literature through critical texts. Sure, sure, it sounds dry and boring, and I know you’re asking what I plan to do with a degree in comparative literature — wait tables? But I’m going to grad school for coli, and I have every intention of getting my Ph.D. in this field. I am happiest when I’m wading in library books, researching for a paper on one text or another, and I can’t wait to share my joy of learning — as well as my research! — with students of my own.

Sure, I have my reservations: What if I want a family one day? Women in academia face a tough decision about whether to have children and when. And it’s difficult not to view your life in terms of black and white: Do I flirt with the Scylla that is a family replete with screaming babies and potentially sacrifice my career, or the Charybdis of a dystopic life as a lonely, crazy cat lady?

The secret, I’m sure, is balance: a concept I have struggled with my whole life (eight years of ballet, and you’d think I’d be able to balance on even two feet, but no). I’m still trying to find a balance between school, friends, love and myself. I should certainly be higher on the priority list than I am right now, but I’m working on that. I haven’t sacrificed my health this semester nearly as much as I have in the past, and I consider that an improvement.

Overall, I’m proud. I’m proud of myself, for working hard and graduating in three years, for getting into graduate school, for doing something I love. I’m proud to be a Binghamton University alumna. I’m proud of my friends and my Pipe Dream family, upon whom I wish peace, happiness and good fortune. Though I’m graduating, I’ll be here for the next few years, and I’m glad.

And now, a few notes:

To my parents, Mia, Jake, April and the rest: Thank you all for your support. Without your love, unwavering scrutiny of my romantic interests and encouragement, I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing. See you all soon.

To Natalie, Berg and Eddie: I could not ask for a better or more loving support system. You guys keep me grounded. When I’m not looking after my health, you are. I love you all dearly.

To Zack, my better half: Thank you for putting up with me for our entire Pipe Dream tenure. Call me whenever you need me; I’ll be there!

To Paige: I never thought I’d find close relationships in this office like the kind I’ve formed with you, Zack and Cari. You’re going to do great things, and I know I couldn’t have done it without you. Come stay with me anytime!

To Cari: You are a ray of sunshine, darling. I wish you happiness and success in your endeavors. Thank you for everything. I can’t wait to see where you go in your life!

To Kendall: Thank you, so much. If I didn’t call you that night, I wouldn’t have made it home. You’re a great listener and a good friend. Don’t be a stranger!

To Mikey: I’m glad I worked with you this year. I know you’re going to do great, profound things — next year is just a stepping stone for that. Thank you for your quietude and support!

To Christina, Ari, Geoff, Victoria, Janine and the rest of the crew: You guys are great. This year was awesome, mostly because it was with all of you. Thank you for a wonderful year, and good luck!

To Rachel, Nick, Emma, John, Corey, Ben and everyone else on staff next year: Don’t sweat it; you guys are going to do great. I’ll be popping into the office now and again. And be sure to say hi when I see you on the Spine!

To Chelsea, Catherine, Adriana, Anushka, Melissa and Michelle: I cannot thank you enough for putting up with living with me, and for being such kind, fun people. I’ll see you around campus next year (Chelsea: You can stay with me whenever you like).

— Rebecca Forney is a senior majoring in comparative literature.

Views expressed in the opinion pages represent the opinions of the columnists.