Binghamton University’s Water Justice Alliance hosted its first World Water Day a cappella show Saturday evening to raise money and awareness for the global water crisis.

WJA, which opened its BU chapter last spring, advocates for the need for clean drinking water worldwide. The event, titled “Voices for Water Justice,” coincided with World Water Day, an international holiday declared by the UN in 1993. World Water Day 2012 took place Thursday, March 22.

World Water Day 2012 focused particularly on the need for clean water to produce food.

“People use water to grow food; we can even measure the water used to make specific food,” said Alexander Sallahian, president of the WJA and a senior majoring in management. “If we send food to people in need, we also help the water crisis.”

The event featured a presentation by Sallahian and performances by Rhythm Method, the Binghamtonics and the Treblemakers.

Rhythm Method opened the show and performed a variety of songs, from “Footloose” to the theme song from “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.” The Binghamtonics followed with a cappella renditions of different genres of music. The Treblemakers closed the show with their rendition of Florence and the Machine’s “The Dog Days Are Over.”

The show raised $95 from ticket sales, which cost $2, and donations. All proceeds went to Water For People, a global non-profit organization that helps people gain access to clean drinking water.

“The event is meant to raise money for communities which are water-deprived or have a low availability of fresh water,” Brendon said.

Sallahian said that many countries outside of North America are currently suffering from a lack of clean water, a commodity that many Americans take for granted.

“At this point, water is a nonrenewable resource,” Sallahian said. “The lack of water has not affected North America, but it is still an issue.”

About 884 million people suffer from water-related problems worldwide, and as many as 4 billion people will be without drinking water by 2025, according to Sallahian.

Ashley Cruz, a member of Rhythm Method and a junior majoring in integrative neuroscience, supports spreading water issue awareness.

“World water awareness can help people all over the world have an equal supply of water,” Cruz said. “It is a shame that people aren’t as fortunate as we are.”

Michael Wittenberg, a member of the Treblemakers and a sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering, explained how the a cappella group got involved with the event.

“We were contacted by [Sallahian] and knew it was about understanding the water situation,” Wittenberg said. “He asked and we were ready to do it.”

Halfway through the show, Sallahian gave a brief presentation on the purpose of the WJA, in which he pointed out the severity of the global water shortage. He discussed the group’s past events for charity, including a basketball tournament, Jump for Justice.

Christine Reiner, a senior majoring in psychology, said the concert was a great way to support the WJA.

“The cause is noble, and the show is a good way to spend $2,” Reiner said.

Jessica Schabowski, a junior majoring in political science, thought the value of the show was great.

“It’s only $2, so why not go?” Schabowski said.

The WJA meets at 4 p.m. every Friday in the Old University Union room 124.