The Student Association confirmed that the Spring Fling headlining concert will, for the first time in memory, require purchasing a ticket — for a show that will be held indoors at Binghamton University’s Events Center on May 5.

The SA was obligated to move the show from its usual location near the Lecture Hall and Student Wing because of campus construction, but Executive Board members were able to secure their desired location for Spring Fling’s day-time activities, which will be centered around the Peace Quad.

Catherine Cornell, SA vice president for programming, said that tickets to the concert will cost less than $10, but could not confirm the exact price because the SA Programming Board is still in the process of booking an opening artist.

Cornell said the SA has booked the headlining act and that her announcement is forthcoming. She hopes that the act’s appeal will make up for the ticket price.

“We’re hoping that act is big enough — they’re a big name — so even though the students are paying they’re still getting their money’s worth out of a concert,” Cornell said.

Tickets are necessary, according to Cornell, because holding a show at the Events Center adds extra cost. The arena does not have a general rental charge, but charges specific fees for use of its individual facilities and setting up and tearing down the stage for the show.

Cornell said there was no other viable option for an outdoors show on campus, and that the decision to host the concert at the Events Center was “just out of our hands.”

The majority of students interviewed by Pipe Dream about the concert’s move indoors and the price for entry reacted negatively to the changes.

“I feel ripped off. They’re taking away my Spring Fling,” said David Inoa, a sophomore who insisted that he is majoring in rocket engineering.

Jacqueline Moeller, a sophomore majoring in accounting, said “half of Spring Fling was being outside for the concert.”

“It’s my senior year and I want it to be like it was every other year I was here,” said Yakira Rabin, a senior majoring in psychology. “The whole point of Spring Fling is to be free and outside.”

Some students, however, were more ambivalent about the departure from tradition.

“I don’t think that [moving the show] is that bad. It has the potential to make the show better,” said Cooper Hawley, a sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering. “It sucks more that it costs money than that it’s inside.”

Though the SA had no choice but to move the concert to the Events Center, the E-Board was able to work with University officials to keep day-time activities anchored around a familiar Spring Fling location, according to Cornell.

The Peace Quad will host carnival booths, food stands and student group tables. Rides will be placed in the Couper Administration Building’s parking lot on unobstructed areas of the Spine between the New University Union and the Glenn G. Bartle Library, and throughout the paved area around Dickinson Community’s amphitheater.

Cornell said the Peace Quad was her first choice, but the SA also submitted two other proposals for day-activity locations to the Office of Campus Life. The Peace Quad proposal was initially denied, but Cornell said she and SA President Kathryn Howard were able to successfully appeal the decision.

“We appealed to [University President Harvey] Stenger and he thought it was what students really wanted,” Cornell said.

Though there were concerns about the damage to the grass on the quad, Stenger’s first concern was safety, according to Cornell.

When the SA made it clear that heavy rides would not be placed on the grass, the University approved the appeal.

“I’m excited about it as a whole,” Cornell said. “And Stenger stepping up in his first year and addressing students needs is a great start to his long career at Binghamton.”

Stenger was also excited about the prospects of Spring Fling on the Peace Quad.

“I am looking forward to my first Spring Fling,” Stenger said during his visit to the Pipe Dream office. “I hope it goes really well, great weather and lots of fun.”

— Daniel S. Weintraub and Sophia Rosenbaum contributed reporting.