The Decker Student Health Services Center has reported seven cases of hand, foot and mouth disease since last Thursday.

The highly contagious viral infection is common in children, but adults who previously have not been exposed to the virus can contract it as well. It has made several appearances on college campuses recently. Over the past week, the virus has been garnering national media attention, with over a dozen confirmed cases at Florida State University.

Since reporting four cases of hand, foot and mouth disease at Binghamton University on Sept. 15, Decker Student Health Services Center decided to notify students and staff of the disease via InsideBU, the campus public relations newspaper, in order for them to be aware and take steps to reduce contagion. Since then, they have reported an additional three cases.

Symptoms of hand, foot and mouth disease include sores in the mouth, rashes on the hands and feet, fever, sore throat, irritability and loss of appetite. Left untreated, the virus usually clears up on its own within 10 days. There is no cure for the virus, but fever reducers, such as Tylenol, can be used to counteract some of the symptoms.

Dr. Michael Leonard, medical director of the Decker Student Health Services Center, said there is no particular student area that seems involved to contract the illness. Furthermore, he offered insight on how one might be able to avoid infection.

“Washing hands, especially before eating or touching our face, mouth, nose or eyes, is one’s best protection,” Leonard wrote in an email. “These viruses are passed by touching contaminated surfaces or sharing, eating and drinking containers and utensils. The mouth, nasal and stool contain these viruses, especially during the first week of illness.”

Identifying the disease as something more annoying than worrisome, Leonard advised symptomatic treatment, or treating symptoms as they arise, to anyone who should