John Babich/Assistant Photography Editor Pictured: Gigi Graham, a junior majoring in environmental science and Alaina Mancini, a sophomore majoring in environmental studies, table at Binghamton University’s annual Earth Day Festival. Hosted by the recycling and resource management division under Physical Facilities, the event aimed to raise awareness for the environment and teach students more about recycling.

Refusing to be deterred by a rainy Friday afternoon, students came out to learn about ways to protect the environment and reduce their carbon footprint during Binghamton University’s 11th annual Earth Day Festival.

Over 300 people stopped by the Peace Quad to eat free organic food, pet animals from the Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park and learn more about recycling. The event was hosted by the recycling and resource management division under Physical Facilities. Other academic, student and community groups, such as the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE), the BU chemistry department, Lupo’s and Sodexo were present at the event.

Martin Larocca, the Physical Facilities resource recovery manager and an organizer of the event, said that the day was a great way to teach students about sustainability. It also showcased resources that are offered on-campus, specifically under his office, that help students learn how to recycle through different mediums.

The Physical Facilities table had a game testing students’ recycling knowledge. Facts included that wax-coated paper, chip bags with metallic insides and plastic bags cannot be recycled and that cardboard must be totally flat to be recycled. Gigi Graham, a recycle and resource management intern at Physical Facilities and a junior majoring in environmental studies, said that many students are unaware that they recycle incorrectly.

“We’re just trying to raise awareness for the Earth,” Graham said. “We want people to know more about recycling because what people think is just a simple task to do, most people don’t do it or they do it incorrectly.”

The CCE advertised its annual program called “Ditch the Dumpster,” which places donation boxes in every residential building so students can donate clothing, books, furniture and electronics like laptops, keyboards and chargers to the Salvation Army before moving out. The Center also gave out decomposable newspaper pots with an assortment of seeds to plant.

According to Melina Martin, a faculty-student scholar at the CCE and senior double-majoring in biology and English, “Ditch the Dumpster” collected 14,000 pounds of donations two years ago.

“The message we’re trying to get to students is that it’s easier than you think to be green, to get involved with the community,” Martin said.

The chemistry department showcased global warming statistics and informed students of ways to reduce carbon emissions that cause climate change. Methods included growing indoor plants, using fluorescent lights, checking car tires and turning technological devices off when not in use.

Dylan Horvath, the steward of natural areas at BU, managed the Nature Preserve table. He displayed things found in the Preserve to highlight the importance of respecting nature on campus. The Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park brought ferrets, cockroaches and chinchillas to raise an appreciation for wildlife. Representatives said that if students know more about something, the more they will respect it and the less they will fear it

Lupo’s, provided free chicken spiedies to promote local foods while Sodexo encouraged eating organically by offering vegan burgers with fresh pico de gallo, guacamole and locally-grown apples.

Hannah Shankman, a sophomore double-majoring in history and philosophy, politics and law said she initially came for the free food, but left interested in learning how to reduce her carbon footprint.

“I live on campus, it’s kind of a structured environment,” Shankman said. “So if there’s anything I can do to maybe not grab that extra coffee or use my reusable water bottle instead, I think that’s really helpful.”