Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders will be holding a rally at the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Monday, April 11. Doors are set to open at 7 a.m., and Sanders is expected to arrive around 10 a.m. The event is free and open to the public, but RSVP’s are encouraged.

Binghamton Mayor Rich David said that the event will be a significant moment for the Southern Tier, and will allow voters to hear from a candidate directly.

“An opportunity … to attend a rally or an event hosted by a presidential candidate can be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” David said. “It’s an opportunity to be part of history.”

According to Conrad Taylor, the city councilman for Binghamton’s fourth district and a sophomore majoring in political science, the senator’s viewpoints will resonate with city locals.

“I am very excited to have Bernie in our amazing city,” Taylor said. “The Southern Tier is no stranger to the economic woes that Bernie identifies every day.”

Chair of the Broome County Democrats James Testani said that attending an in-person rally allows voters to thoroughly understand candidates’ platforms.

“I think it’s great for the community to have candidates for president come through Broome County,” Testani said. “It gives them a chance to look at our specific situation first hand and to tell us specifically what they plan on doing to help us. ”

David also said that Sanders’ popularity among student voters makes Downtown Binghamton an effective spot for campaigning.

“Sen. Sanders is very appealing to the younger electorate, so I’m not surprised that he chose the Binghamton area to host an event because of its close proximity to Binghamton University,” David said. “But I think whether it’s for students, young adults or seniors in our community, this may be the first opportunity that many will have to attend an event locally. It’s very positive.”

Students expressed their excitement over a presidential candidate visiting Binghamton. Ben Seitz, a junior majoring in evolutionary studies, said that Sanders’ viewpoints and goals would help improve the local area and support Broome County.

“In my opinion, Bernie Sanders is one of the last truly authentic civil servants, who has a long history of fighting for working class people, targeting corporate greed and promoting progressive values to unite people rather than divide them,” Seitz said. “I am excited that he’s coming to Binghamton as his support among students here is undeniably huge, and his policies I think, would revitalize places like Binghamton and the Southern Tier.”

Harris Weiss, the president of BU College Democrats and a senior majoring in political science, said that he is looking forward to Sanders’ visit, but wants his rhetoric to focus on uniting the democrats during election season.

“I am glad to see that presidential candidates such as Bernie are coming to Binghamton,” Weiss said. “It will give the University and community as a whole a chance to be in the national spotlight. I just hope that Bernie sticks to the issues, and positive campaigning instead of the negative campaigning we have seen of late. We need to build up our candidates and the Democratic Party, not tear it apart.”

Sanders inspires political involvement among his peers, Taylor added, and his visit will only continue to garner support.

“The way that he inspires our generation to stand up and fight for a better America is amazing,” Taylor said. “Bernie is turning millions of young people across the country into passionate voters. There is nothing more exciting to me than seeing that happen.”

Taylor also said that there will be an opportunity to canvas for Sanders at Citizen Action at 1 p.m. on Sunday, located on the North Side. Those who attend will receive a free V.I.P. pass to Monday’s rally.