Mountainview Mischief

FRIDAY, March 4, 2:40 p.m. — Officers were contacted on Friday to report a stolen jacket from the Appalachian Collegiate Center, said Investigator Patrick Reilly of Binghamton’s New York State University Police. The victim, a 25-year-old male, reported that he had placed his jacket, a black hoodie, in the worker’s room before his shift. When he returned afterward, it was gone. There are no suspects, and the case is still pending investigation.

Suspended Speeder

FRIDAY, March 4, 4:35 p.m. — A vehicle was pulled over for speeding south of Murray Hill Road, said Reilly. An officer on patrol around the area saw the vehicle and estimated it to be traveling at 50 mph in a 30 mph zone. When he was pulled over, the driver, a 21-year-old male, told the officer that his license was suspended. The passenger, whose license was not suspended, was able to take control of the vehicle after the stop. The driver was given three tickets: speeding, operating a vehicle without a license and aggravated driving with a suspended license, all returnable to the Vestal Town Court.

Seat Snatcher

SATURDAY, March 5, 3:38 a.m. — The residential director of O’Connor Hall in Dickinson Community contacted officers on Saturday to report stolen couch and chair cushions from the lounge area, Reilly said. The cushions had all been secured to the couches themselves, but the wires were found ripped from them. A walk-through came up negative and the case is still pending investigation.

Not-So-High Spirits

SATURDAY, March 5, 8:38 a.m. — Residence assistant (RA) staff of O’Connor Hall contacted UPD to report a liquor law violation, Reilly said. The officers met with the staff outside of the suite when they arrived, where they were informed that an RA had observed in plain view in one of the suites an empty one liter bottle of spirits, despite none of the residents being over the age of 21. One of the residents admitted to purchasing spirits with a fake Maryland state driving license. The license was seized and the alcohol was disposed of.