Raquel Panitz/Pipe Dream Photographer

Binghamton University’s search for the new LGBTQ Center’s founding director continued on Friday afternoon with a presentation by the second of four candidates.

Khristian Kemp-DeLisser earned his doctorate in educational policy and leadership and master’s in higher education from the University of Vermont. Chosen by the search committee based on his experience as an assistant dean and director of the LGBTQ Initiatives at Colgate University, Kemp-DeLisser presented his vision for developing the new center. He focused on the progress of the center over the next three to five years and the hope to add over 25 student and faculty members.

The search committee consists of students and faculty, many of whom are from LGBTQ outreach groups such as SHADES, Residential Life and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI). They review the candidates based on aptitude, connections and the goals that they want to achieve in order to advance BU.

While working to promote social justice and inclusion by supporting minority groups in his role at Colgate University, Kemp-DeLisser has developed and facilitated relations across social differences, and conducted research on LGBTQ and racial identity in a campus climate.

Kemp-DeLisser said he wants to try to introduce programs similar to the ones he created at Colgate University, like seminars on various sex education topics such as “yes means yes” and “this is not a play about sex.” He also wants to work on the Bystander Intervention Program, which teaches students, faculty and staff to remind people of their personal responsibilities to confront discrimination in everyday life — which includes LGBTQ biases — and interrupt bias or persecution when they see it.

“Although the Bystander Intervention model is focused on intervention for sexual assault, my team and I adapted it to be used for practically any form of injustice,” Kemp-DeLisser said. “I want to empower students to act when they see forms of injustice and give them the tools and courage to be able to challenge the beliefs taught by the hook-up culture and society’s ‘stigmas.’”

According to Kemp-DeLisser, the role of the LGBTQ director is to provide access to resources for various members of the BU community by creating a safe, anonymous and judgment-free center. Kemp-DeLisser said that in order to make a successful center they would work with outside groups and training centers to be able to receive students and other community members who are struggling.

“We can help build the infrastructure for local neighborhoods, and more people can get access to the resources we provide,” Kemp-DeLisser said. “I strongly believe in supporting historically marginalized communities, including the LGBTQ community and organizations involving students of color, women’s rights issues and other minority groups, and I believe in the social justice of lifting up the people in those groups.”