Growing up poor in Jamaica, Marcus Mohalland had a childhood filled with stories. Today, those stories stretch the pages of his new children’s book series.

Mohalland is the co-author of “Silly Nomads,” a book series chronicling the stories of Suhcrom and Naddih, two young brothers living in Jamaica. The books are co-written by Janet L. Lewis, a nurse from Endicott, New York.

After coming to the United States at age 15 in search of a better life, Mohalland attended high school in Bronx, New York, and later attended Binghamton University, where he played varsity soccer for four years. He graduated in 1998 with a bachelor’s degree in English, and later received a master’s in social sciences at BU in 2003.

“Silly Nomads” is based on Mohalland’s own experiences before coming to the U.S. He said he writes not for the sake of writing, but to share his stories of his own experiences in Jamaica.

The first book of the series tells the story of how Suhcrom and Naddih went out into a large field and, using a cardboard box as a makeshift tent, pretended to be nomads. This story was based on Mohalland’s experience with his brother.

“It felt real,” Mohalland said. “It left an impression on me. When I experienced it and when I came to the United States, I said, ‘If I ever write a book, it’s going to be about this.’”

The road to publication was not easy. Mohalland said that publishers had a preference for other genres, so he and Lewis created their own publishing company, Mohalland Lewis LLC, in March 2013.

“It’s been two years and [Lewis] and I feel like there’s still a long way to go,” he said. “We have so many other plans for ‘Silly Nomads.’”

Mohalland went on to work for the State of New York as a youth empowerment coordinator in Broome County, where he educated children on the dangers of tobacco. He currently lives in Vestal and works with Catholic Charities as an individualized care coordinator for children with mental health needs.

“I was very fortunate to have people kind of mold me and help me become the person I am,” he said. “I feel that it’s important to give back to our community and help kids.”

The pair’s first of two books was published in English in September 2013, and will be published in Spanish this week and in French later this year. In addition, Mohalland is creating an elementary school curriculum with quizzes, vocabulary lessons and geography lessons to supplement the books.

Mohalland hopes to grow “Silly Nomads” into a household name. He said he feels he has the ability to create change and help children by sharing the message of persistence and perseverance while living fun, imaginative lives.

“Your childhood is the most important part when growing up,” he said. “It goes by so fast, so quickly, that you need to enjoy it.”