Photo Provided by Zach Liebmann Senior Ethan Hausamann returns to the Bearcats in 2015 after placing first for BU in four meets last season.

The only thing more difficult than getting to the top is staying there. The Binghamton men’s cross country currently holds the America East crown, having taking first place at last year’s championships. Last season’s victory marked the fourth time in the last six years that the Bearcats have finished in either the top spot or as runners-up in the conference.

The road to a repeat, however, will not be a simple one, as three of five scoring runners from the championship team have either graduated or will not compete this season. Notable losses include former co-captains Matt Johnson and Jesse Garn, who, thanks to their eighth and ninth-place finishes at the AE Championships, garnered All-Conference honors last season.

Despite the loss of key contributors from last season, the men’s roster remains deep.

“We’re returning two guys that have finished in the top 10 in the past,” BU head coach Annette Acuff said.

Leading the pack for the Bearcats are senior Ethan Hausamann and redshirt senior Collin Frost, both of whom have earned All-AE honors during their time at Binghamton. Hausamann, who earned this distinction after finishing 10th in last year’s conference championship, was Binghamton’s top runner in four meets last season. Frost, who redshirted last season, finished ninth at the 2013 America East Championships.

Another meaningful returner to the squad is junior Eric Holt, who narrowly missed All-Conference honors at last year’s championship meet, finishing 11th.

“[Holt] looks extremely more fit than last year at this time,” Acuff said. “I think he’s really going to make some good strides.”

The team has added four freshmen to the program this season, including standout recruit Daryn Hutchings, a first-team NYSSWA All-State selection as a junior and senior.

“Daryn Hutchings looks to be in great shape coming off the summer, so I could see him contributing,” Acuff said.

Although the Bearcats are coming off an AE championship win, a repeat is not Binghamton’s only goal this season.

“Top-two [in the conference] is our goal as a team, but we just want to see all of our kids developing well from what they were able to run last year,” Acuff said. “If we see a lot of individual improvement, we should see some significant team improvement as well.”

The Bearcats are set to kick off their season tomorrow at the Colgate/Harry Lang Invitational in Hamilton, New York. The first race is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.