Every year, students return to campus with spending money from summer jobs. But, as that money dries out, many look to part-time jobs on campus as their source for cash.

The competition for jobs on campus is stiff according to Brandy Smith, an assistant director at the Fleischman Center. Some positions get so many applications that listings get taken down early. But Smith said there are opportunities available in a variety of places, from working as a receptionist to serving up food at on-campus dining facilities.

Smith said that improvements were made to the University’s online employment site hireBING last year, which allows students to find part-time jobs that they can hold while enrolled in the University.

“We created a quick link within hireBING that takes students directly to the on-campus employment listings in the system,” Smith explained.

However, she stressed that hireBING should not be the only way students look for jobs.

“In addition to searching for job postings in hireBING, we regularly suggest students approach offices and departments that are of interest to inquire whether there might be opportunities,” Smith said. “It is important for students to use their network of friends, faculty and staff in their academic departments and other campus departments to find out about on-campus employment opportunities.”

Many of these organizations which offer employment, including Sodexo, have their own application processes. Sodexo employs between 400 and 500 students during the academic year according to Jim Ruoff, the Resident District Manager at Sodexo.

“We usually consider ourselves the biggest employer on campus, but technically if you count all those RAs, Student Affairs has us beat,” Ruoff said.

When free room and board is factored in, the job of Resident Assistant (RA) is one of the top paying on campus for undergraduates, and one of the most competitive, according to Res Life. Off Campus College Transportation (OCCT) exclusively hires students as bus drivers, monitors and receptionists, with a $10 starting salary and free training for the Commercial Driver’s License test.

Temporary work is also an option. According to Heather Sheffer, the store manager at the Binghamton University Bookstore. To deal with the rush of buying and selling textbooks, the bookstore hires people at the start and end of each semester.

“We usually double our staff from about 20 students to about 35 or 40 during the busy times,” Sheffer said.

Campus Recreation also offers a wide variety of positions, some of which pay over New York state’s $8.75 minimum wage. Some currently listed positions include lifeguard at $9.75 per hour and Water Safety Instructor at $10.80 per hour.

But according to Smith, the best way to land a solid campus job is to stay in-tune with the hiring cycles and actively seek out different opportunities.

“More positions will be available at the beginning of the academic year, and many offices recruit students one semester ahead of time,” Smith said. “Be prepared for the hiring cycle, and make sure you can quickly respond to postings.”