With a new grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF), students seeking masters degrees in engineering will have a new opportunity to receive funding.

The Binghamton University Watson School of Engineering & Applied Science was awarded $610,180 over five years from the NSF. The grant will go to scholarships for students working towards masters degrees in electrical, computer and mechanical engineering. Up to 30 students could receive scholarships from this grant, with a maximum of $10,000 per student for each year it takes to complete the degree.

Stephen Zahorian, the Chair of the Department of Electrical and Computer engineering, assisted in writing the 15-page proposal detailing why BU should receive funding. The NSF reviewed it, and the department was awarded about 25 percent of the funding they originally asked for.

“The grant is expected to increase the number of domestic students seeking master’s degrees … especially women and minorities,” Zahorian wrote in an email. “The goal is to add value to our master’s programs and make these programs more attractive to our students.”

The engineering department’s masters program usually attracts international students, according to Zahorian. In an attempt to increase the number of U.S. citizens in the program, the scholarships from the new grant will be given to students who are permanent residents in the U.S., with a preference given to those in need for financial aid.

Students can apply online for the grant. A need for financial aid will be factored into the students’ application process, as well as academic performance. The application process will require students to submit letters of recommendation, an essay and interview with the selection committee, which is made up of engineering faculty members.

Kenneth J. McLeod, the Director of Clinical Science and Engineering Research Lab at BU, said that the most important part of the grant is that it gives students a way to prepare for their futures. Students will have a chance to pursue their masters instead of looking straight to employment after college.

“Students need to take a much more active role in planning their career,” McCleod wrote in an email. “Exposure to the principles of entrepreneurship helps to prepare students for this new, modern work environment.”

Those receiving the grant will also have to take a three-credit course on entrepreneurship. McLeod said it was an important component of the program because it gives students exposure to life outside of college. These credits will go towards the 30 credits required to finish the program. Additionally, students will be assigned a mentor as part of the program. This could be a faculty member, fellow graduate student or alumnus.

Aiding students who typically might not be able to gain their masters is beneficial to everyone involved, said Jesse Wong, a junior majoring in industrial systems engineering.

“A diverse body of students will contain different backgrounds and cultures that students can engage and learn from,” Wong said. “Learning different backgrounds and cultures can help in the future when applying for jobs or working in different parts of the world.”

Despite only being a five-year grant, McCleod said that in the future, programs modeled after this one could benefit schools nationwide.

“The new program initiated by Dr. Zahorian is at the cutting edge of engineering education,” McCleod said. “We expect this program to have a profound influence on the success of our students, but also serve as a template for other engineering schools throughout the country.”