The New York State Department of Health named the facilities that will receive the five licenses to grow and dispense medical marijuana – and the Johnson City-based facility was not one of them.

Salus Scientific, whose proposal included a growing facility in Johnson City and dispensary in Vestal as well as a collaboration with Binghamton University’s Pharmacy School, failed in its bid.

The five winning facilities are Etain, growing in Chestertown with dispensaries in Albany, Yonkers, Syracuse and Kingston; Bloomfield Industries, growing in Queens with dispensaries in Manhattan as well as Onondaga, Erie and Nassau counties; PharmaCann, growing in Orange County with dispensaries in the Bronx, Albany, Buffalo and Syracuse; Columbia Care NY, growing in Rochester with dispensaries in New York City as well as Rochester, Suffolk and Clinton Counties; and Empire State Health Solutions, which will house its growing facility in Albany, and open dispensaries in Albany County, Queens, Westchester and Broome Counties. A spokesperson for the company could not be reached to confirm the exact location in Broome County or if they have plans to collaborate with BU’s Pharmacy School.

Michael Falcone, chairman and co-founder of Salus Scientific, told the Press and Sun Bulletin that he was still optimistic about future opportunities.

“I am sad for the area. I’m not just sad for us — I’m sad for the Southern Tier,” he said. “If there’s a round two, we would very much be up for doing it all over again.”

Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo, whose jurisdiction includes Binghamton, said in a press statement that this does not mean the area will not receive any benefits from the new industry.

“I am happy to learn that a medical marijuana dispensary will be located in Broome County,” she said. “Patients with prescriptions from their doctors will receive relief for a variety of medical conditions.”

She added that even though Salus’ license was denied, collaboration is still a possibility.

“I’m optimistic that Salus Scientific will remain committed to helping the area become a manufacturing hub for hemp and its numerous byproducts,” she said. “Because hemp is a source of cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive product used in medical marijuana applications, Salus Scientific could still pursue a research relationship with BU’s pharmacy school.”

Salus Scientific did not respond to Pipe Dream’s request for comment.