Finals week has arrived and Binghamton University students are searching for the best and most efficient ways to study. With a long week of sleepless nights ahead, students must not only focus on good grades, but also on remaining healthy.

Between writing papers, finishing projects and studying for finals, people are putting their brains to work. Nancy Lamberty, a counselor at the University Counseling Center, said an adequate amount of sleep is vital in order to study effectively.

“Sleep deprivation is a huge problem on campus, especially during finals time,” Lamberty said. “The brain ideally needs eight hours of sleep daily and at a consistent time. This gives you the best type of sleep as daytime approaches and the body prepares itself to wake up.”

Psychology professor Deanne Westerman said sleep also plays an important roll in memory formation. Deep sleep is critical in retaining information, and pulling an all-nighter deprives students of the sleep-dependent part of consolidating information.

When cramming, students may run into difficulty memorizing and recalling all of the information they have studied. According to Garrett Fitzgerald, the associate director for Alcohol and Other Drug Programs and Services, the brain needs breaks.

“What is really suggested is studying in 20 to half-hour intervals, and taking a few minutes off every so often to refresh,” Fitzgerald said.

According to Westerman, research has proven that if students test themselves they will remember the subject matter better. She said that using flash cards is one of the best ways for students to do this.

“It turns out that in the history of memory research up until nine years ago, we thought that testing yourself was just another way of assessing what you know,” Westerman said. “But what we learned is that it’s actually another opportunity to form a strong memory.”

Commonly known study tricks, like having the same candy while studying and again during the test or listening to classical music, are not actually as efficient as one may think. Reinstating cues, or replicating environmental conditions, is only helpful for specific types of fact recall on essay tests, and not multiple choice.

Focusing on one single task or subject rather than splitting attention will also show students better results, according to Westerman.

“Studies have shown that during studying, dividing your attention between two tasks, for example keeping up with a text conversation with your friends and then studying, is detrimental to your ability to remember whatever you’re studying,” Westerman said. “Bouncing back and forth really impairs your memory for that study period.”

Overusing substances like caffeine, nicotine and alcohol during finals week can overstimulate the brain, causing impulsive behavior. According to Lamberty, high anxiety can cause you to think more negatively and self-critically.

“Ideally stop using substances several hours before bedtime, and stop all activity an hour before bedtime so your body and brain get a chance to decompress and formulate positive and affirming thoughts before falling asleep,” Lamberty said.

Fitzgerald advises students to steer clear of study drugs like Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta and Dexedrine. When taken without a prescription, students may experience side effects.

“What you get out of study drugs are a feeling of control, pleasure, alertness and increased blood flow and communication between nerves,” Fitzgerald said. “However, if you’re not prescribed it there are many major side effects. The drugs can dramatically increase blood pressure and heart rate, as well as cause dehydration and other unpleasant effects. In high doses it can cause paranoia and even psychosis.”

During long days of studying, Lamberty reminds students that taking breaks, exercising and relaxing are fundamental for one’s success during finals week.

“Go for a walk or run, play a sport, listen to music, laugh with friends, read a good or fun book,” Lamberty said. “Go outside on a sunny day and sit quietly and remind yourself that it is all going to work out for the best.”