Chalk drawings and live music along the Chenango River at Court Street highlighted the importance of clean water within the Binghamton community.

The Broome-Tioga Stormwater Coalition, an organization that works to minimize run-off water that carries pollutants by advocating for sustainable practices, held the celebration “The Art of Water” on Friday to educate the community on clean water infrastructure.

The event hosted various tables that advocated for healthy ecological practices by giving away seeds and information on implementing more effective sewage systems. There was also a raffle for a painted rain barrel and a tour of a green roof atop a neighboring building.

According to Beth Lucas, a senior urban planner for Broome County, the event was held to educate community residents about run-off water. This comes from rain or snow and streams down rooftops, paved streets and highways and can transfer untreated impurities into nearby bodies of water.

“We are focusing on water in our community, and this event highlights how art can help beautify our riverfronts and waterways,” Lucas said.

The Chenango Riverwalk was decorated with chalk drawings of palm trees and ocean water by local artist Eric Maruscak. Members of the community were also given the chance to create their own chalk drawings and make water wheels, which are machines that convert flowing water into forms of energy.

Binghamton University organization Intellectual Decisions on Environmental Awareness Solutions (I.D.E.A.S.) handed out free plants and planted pollinator-friendly native plants along the Riverwalk. These types of plants do not have pesticides that could be detrimental to local wildlife.

Katherine Scott, a senior majoring in environmental studies, said native plants that originated in New York can absorb stormwater that would otherwise run off into the river.

“I.D.E.A.S. wanted to bring the Riverwalk back to a more ecological state,” Scott said. “Right now it only has a little vegetation and isn’t helping native birds to find habitats. The wildlife around here depends on these kinds of plants to survive, and once they have food, the whole system will eventually grow to be.”

Lucas said she thought the event was a success and helped create a healthier ecological system within the community.

“The tables and artists worked hard to spread awareness for cleaner water, and also helped to express how we interpret water in our world,” Lucas said. “Hopefully students and community members were able to take a lot from this celebration.”

Brendan Grabe, a senior majoring in political science, said the celebration showed that the city was moving in the right direction.

“If we are eco-friendly and plant more trees around the area, Binghamton will grow even more environmentally,” he said.