Photo provided

Creators of a new website are seeking to make Binghamton residents more conscious of where they shop and what they buy.

LocallyU was launched last April as a database of businesses throughout New York state, reviewing how locally involved they are, how environmentally friendly they are and how available organic products are at each business.

The website was founded by Peter Gierlach, a Vestal resident who plans to attend Binghamton University’s Graduate School in the fall. Since then, he has been joined by Max Slocum, his high school friend and a junior majoring in computer science, and Joshua Temple, Slocum’s friend and a member of the class of 2014 who majored in computer science.

To be listed on the website, businesses have to fit certain criteria. These vary based on the types of business, which range from athletics shops to breweries, but they must be locally owned and operated, have a reputation for transparency about suppliers and have a strong sustainability strategy.

“We chose these criteria because they tend to be the antithesis of the practices of big, multinational chains,” Gierlach said. “We want to make it easy for people to support others who are trying to do the right thing.”

According to Gierlach, the project began simply as an idea to research the origins of products people use in their daily lives.

“I thought that if we made it easier for people to buy from better businesses, it may force change in the economy and encourage businesses to use better, more community-based business practices,” Gierlach said.

LocallyU began by tracking businesses in many major upstate New York cities, as well as Manhattan, and Gierlach said he hopes to finish that work by the end of the summer. Although his company is still in its infancy and, typically, most comprehensive in the Binghamton area, Gierlach said he is looking to expand into other cities and states throughout the country.

The group began a campaign on the crowdsourcing website GoFundMe in July 2014 that raised $790 in start-up capital to invest into LocallyU, which is currently its only source of revenue.

“Right now we are functioning on an entirely volunteer basis, and are always open to people helping us,” Gierlach said. “To be a nationwide service we would need to make money — that’s no secret. But we are more concerned with the community impact we make rather than the bottom line.”

Louis Meringolo, a senior majoring in management, said LocallyU has shown him what kind of businesses Binghamton has to offer outside of Wal-Mart and Target.

“The site helps me stay in touch with the community,” Meringolo said. “There are so many unique businesses in the area.”

The Vestal Farmers’ Market is currently the highest-ranked business in the greater Binghamton area. This high ranking was obtained largely by its participation in activities that benefit the community and also because it sells only locally grown produce.

Reactions from other local businesses have been positive, according to Johan Bergfjord, owner of Down to Earth Whole Foods, which also has a high rating on LocallyU.

“There’s a consciousness growing among discerning customers in the area,” Bergfjord said. “I really believe there is a market for these types of products.”

Though the site is working to expand advertising, students have already expressed interest in using LocallyU to support the community.

“I think it’s an incredible idea,” said Morgan Wickstrom, a senior majoring in environmental studies. “It’s so important that we source things we use locally, especially in a city like Binghamton that is growing. We really owe it to the city to help it improve.”